What size feeder?

Firefly

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Connecticut
For 5 hens? I've been researching and can't find a good formula for figuring it out. I'd like to have to only fill it once or twice a day. Any opinions as to what is the minimum size feeder I should get?

Thank you
smile.png

Are we talking full size hens? You can use almost anything....I have 13 chickens, and I use a 5 gallon bucket...I made a hanging feeder...cut some holes along the bottom of the bucket, and took a large eyebolt made a hole in the bottom of the bucket, and secured it to a large round plastic pan....about an inch deep. Made a hole in the lid....ran a rope through the lid, to the eye bolt, and hang it from the ceiling. Fill it....ohhhhh, once a week! Of course, for a smaller amount of hens, you can use a smaller bucket...like the easter egg buckets....but will need a lid to keep them out of the top! However, you can get a long feeder at most any feed store. Depends on how much room you have.

You can get feeders that you do not have to fill but every few days or once a week or so. The chickens need access to feed 24/7 so if the feeder will be protected from the elements and varmints (mice, birds), get a 3-5 gal one.

This is a pig feeder I attach to the door of my coop stalls. It holds seven pounds of feed and lasts about 5-7 days feeding five adult chickens. I added the piece of welded wire to deter them from slinging feed out.
PigFeeder2.jpg

This is one I use for the babies. The piece of wood on top is on a piano hinge and keeps the little ones from roosting on the feeder. The lip is further prevention to keep them from slinging the feed all over the place.
Feederwithlip.jpg

I also use hanging feeders in a couple of my coops and they work well too. A five gallon one is feeding seven large breed birds, and a three gallon one is feeding five light weight birds. I don't need to fill them about once a week.

Wow great suggestions (and pics) thanks! My hens are all standards (RIRs). Sounds like I should be fine with a 3 gallon feeder, whatever I decide to buy/make.

What about a waterer... 3 gallon size as well?

Thanks again!

I would get them the largest waterer you can handle/afford (some get really heavy if you have to carry them). Chickens need fresh water all the time, and you don't want them to run out in hot weather.

Thanks Carla-- good point about having to carry it. I will have to lug it a short distance so I don't want any TOO big, but not so small that I'll have to worry about it running out. Time to go shopping!!
lol.png

If the chicks are on a commercial chick feed, you don't need grit. It is in the feed.

If you feed any treats, add some grit to their food. Washed play sand works OK as does parakeet grit from the pet store.

I used a hanging feeder that held 11 pound of feed for my 12 standard & 2 bantam chickens. I would only have to fill it every couple days. Just this past weekend I got a great buy on a 18 pound hanging feeder & a 6 pound feeder (for bantam pen).

For water I use several 1 gal ones & sit them around the pen. I only use 1 in the banty pen as I only have 4 left in there right now. Carla has to deal with the heat alot more in Tx. than I do in Indiana. that is why I only use the 1 gal ones, that & it is a lot easier for me to carry them to the pen.

Back
Top Bottom