What size Rabbit hutch do I need?

OkChickens

Orpingtons Are Us
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
Owasso, Oklahoma
We are wanting to get a few rabbits 3-4 total. 1 male and 2-3 females. We are wanting to breed them and sell their babies. Would a 2x8 hutch work for 4? Thanks

Nate

You want separate compartments for the doe and buck rabbits... If all in one cage, the does have no room to run away if the buck is being... overly excited, ahem. Plus I believe the pregnant does will need to be separated also, not 100% on that one, but that's how we have ours set up. I have about 4 sqft per rabbit, and 2 ft head space.

When would I place the Buck in with the does and for how long? How do you tell they are in heat? would a 2x8 work for 3 or should I make it 4x8? Is 4x8 to large? Thanks

Nate

Does are induced ovulators. So basically mating causes them to ovulate. Bring the doe to the bucks cage wait the 1-2 minutes it takes then put the doe back in her cage and repeat the process in a couple hours.
Does are very territorial and unless they are littermates usually can't be in the same pen period. Pregnant does need their own pens. Depending on their adult size each rabbit needs a minimum of 2x3' x 18" tall pen and ones that are expecting or have babies should be in a 3x4' pen. This is for a rabbit 6 pounds and under. Definately recommend you check out the American Rabbit Breeders association website www.arba.net
Also get purebred rabbits unless looking to sell meat rabbits.
Hope this helps some.
Aprille

Does should all be housed seperatly. Never take the buck to the does cage, the doe is likely to attack him if you do. The doe always goes to the bucks cage. We usually let them do the deed 2-3 times then put her back in her cage, the following day (less then 24hrs later) we will breed them again. You know he got the job done when he falls to the side, they will often squeal a bit too.

We will keep ours in 2x2 cages but only if they get access to a area to run and jump everyday. Otherwise ours are all in 2x3 cages.

Size of hutch depends on breed of rabbit. Rule of thumb is each rabbit should be able to lay out straight comfortably and stand up on hind legs. Each should have their own space as rabbits may fight to the death if not given enough space in a community run. You can safely house a buck and a doe together in the same space(provided it is big enough). Buck and doe should be separated when time ti kindle is close, not because the buck will kill the kits,he probably won't , but because the doe will be pregnant again as soon as she kindles and you will have more babies in 28-30 days

So If I were to have 3 females and 1 male could I keep the females in a 3x8x2 hutch with a 1/2 inch hardware cloth floor? What would be a good breed to start with?

Nate

As stated above, the arba's website gives great measurements for hutches. :)

As for the breed, it all depends on what you'll be wanting to sell? Pets, or meat rabbits? If pets, I recommend Lionheads, Polish, or Mini Rex's. For meat breeds, Californians and New Zealand's do great.

Nate you say you want to sell for pets...however:

Rabbits can be difficult to get rid of. I produce very few pets and it takes me weeks to sell one.

Does will fight if kept together and bred.

If you keep the buck in the cage...within days he'll rebreed the doe.

Back
Top Bottom