What tha?? Pic Heavy

Zanna

Songster
Oct 14, 2010
Jefferson, Oregon
Maybe someone can give me some insight.............This is my 20 week old pullet/roo, I really don't know.
69791_mycross2.jpg

69791_mycross1.jpg

69791_mycross3.jpg

From a breeding I made, Daddy, New Hampshire:
69791_hugorooside.jpg

Mommy: One of 6 White Leghorns
69791_wl.jpg

Only other possible Daddy, a pure white leghorn. I locked the New Hampshire Roo and the White Leghorn hens up for 14 days before I started collecting eggs. I collected 42 and set them, 39 hatched, cute white fuzzies with lots of black spots on them. These were supposed to replace my older production red egg layers but I only needed a dozen or so, so I sold 30 before they were a week old and kept 12. 11 of those 12 were most definitely roos by 16 weeks and really harassing the hens so we butchered them. So much for my replacement hens
sad.png
The young roos were all mostly white with some gold on them and one mostly white with some black. All had large, red, leghorn combs. They all looked like the cross they were in size/body type. The supposed hen I kept in these pics became very splash, now I am not even sure she is a hen. Any ideas on breed or sex. She/he acts rooish but no crowing yet or egg laying which I would expect by now with this cross. Could she/he be a throwback of a California Leghorn?

...but it looks like it has a pea comb!

...and slate legs!!

...I'm just not at all sure. It's a weird one, that's just so incongruous!

You have a roo...I can't imagine how you got that bird out of the mixtures you mentioned. Comb and legs are all wrong..sure you dont have a neighors roo visiting your girls????

No neighbors roos, honest!!! The slate legs only started to show about a month ago, they were white/pinkish up until then, the same colour as all of the other offspring. The pea comb, who knows. I guess I have a freak of nature
smile.png
Any one want him????

Back
Top Bottom