What the CLUCK!!!!!!!....My hen is acting like a rooster.

Chickmama74

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Virginia
One of my original chickens, who is a hens, I know because she laid her first egg right in front of me, is acting like the rooster. I have seen her mount the other hens and go through the motions of what the rooster does. She is an Astralorp and she is not the dominate hen. I also have four barred rocks and a cornish x. I have no clue as to what is going through that brain of hers. The one that she does mount is the cornish x because she sits all day. (Cornish X is not a bird I would ever get again. I was not told that they are meat birds and now I have 2 of them that barely move. I do not have the heart to stick them in a soup pot.)

But as for the rooster...ummm....hen??? Is this a behavior that I should be worried about? She does not do it to all of the hens....Just Miss Oreo.....(my son named her.) Or could this be a monkey see monkey do? Or a hen see rooster do?

I have to laugh about this because my house is filled with unusual animals.....So why not get a hen that is acting like a rooster!!!!!

If you do not have a roo then a hen will take over tha spot and act like a roo. It is normal. I had a hen that would mount the other hens even though I had a roo in the pen next to theirs. I do not keep my roo with the hens.

Back
Top Bottom