What the CLUCK!!!!!!!....My hen is acting like a rooster.

Chickmama74

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Virginia
One of my original chickens, who is a hens, I know because she laid her first egg right in front of me, is acting like the rooster. I have seen her mount the other hens and go through the motions of what the rooster does. She is an Astralorp and she is not the dominate hen. I also have four barred rocks and a cornish x. I have no clue as to what is going through that brain of hers. The one that she does mount is the cornish x because she sits all day. (Cornish X is not a bird I would ever get again. I was not told that they are meat birds and now I have 2 of them that barely move. I do not have the heart to stick them in a soup pot.)

But as for the rooster...ummm....hen??? Is this a behavior that I should be worried about? She does not do it to all of the hens....Just Miss Oreo.....(my son named her.) Or could this be a monkey see monkey do? Or a hen see rooster do?

I have to laugh about this because my house is filled with unusual animals.....So why not get a hen that is acting like a rooster!!!!!

Ummm... interesting. Never had this happen to me but, I've heard this sometimes happens. Usually it occurs when there isn't a rooster in the flock.The "hen" starts crowing and stops laying. Is she laying any eggs that you know of?

She is still laying. She is one of my best layers. Everyday since she started. I have not heard any crowing from her. She is kinda quite compared to my barred rocks. I have 2 rooster also....one is the "man" of the coop and the other it very sweet.

She is still laying. She is one of my best layers. Everyday since she started. I have not heard any crowing from her. She is kinda quite compared to my barred rocks. I have 2 rooster also....one is the "man" of the coop and the other it very sweet.

I have been reading these post on the hens acting like roosters. I have a black A hen who went broody and now she has quit laying and is acting like a rooster to the younger hens. I see where they are a lot of opinions but no answers. My question is Is there anything out there that can make her a hen again so she can lay or she going to stay like this. Again I say this did not start until she went broody She is ten months and I know she is a hen because she was laying daily

Back
Top Bottom