What the heck was that about??????

I'm leaning more towards the "egg song" (wishful thinking) only because we had just let them out, they had been "cooped" up all night. They haven't done it since. How often will they sing the egg song before they start laying? Daily?

Well it looks like it WAS the "chicken song"! We got our first egg today! She never "squatted" and only sang the "chicken song" once! The one thing she did do was moved the hay around in her nest, she created a "hole" about 1 foot in diameter out of the hay. Now the other one needs to start laying!
woot.gif

I'm guessing it was because you're late. My Golden Comets are idiots and don't notice when there is a predator around- they walk up to the fence when my dog is on the other side then act surprised when the dog tries to get at them. On the flipside, our rooster (Maran/Langshan) gets freaked out over squirrels.

My hens cluck & make all kinds of racket when I go down to let them out- usually between 7:30-8- the past couple of days with the holiday, I've been kinda lazy and it's been later and they haven't been any louder. It's funny though, the earlier I go down there and let them out, the more likely I am to get attacked by the rooster. I guess he's just not a morning bird.

My girls sing every morning and they are not locked in their coop persay; the coop house is connected to the pen & I don't lock them in unless the weather is going to be bad or we start seeing signs of predators (prints or scat) around the pen. I have noticed they make lots of noise after they lay an egg. I googled it because I was curious with all the panting & squawking going on each day. To my surprise, I found that its a natural thing for a hen to do after she passes an egg. It does really seem like labor with all the noise & panting...but they seem to take it in stride.

Congratulations on the eggs!

Ours give us a big scolding if we are late letting them out in spring, summer and fall. In the winter and rainy days, they couldnt care less when they get out.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom