What The Lowest Temperature Day Old Baby Chicks Can Hadle?

I know it's recomended to keep them at around 95 degrees for the first week. They can stand lower temperatures for periods of time as long as they can warm up when they get chilled. For a single chick alone I wouldn't recomend to go far below that as a constant temperature. A chicks body temp is around 106 degrees and they can't regulate it well till they are older.

I know it's recomended to keep them at around 95 degrees for the first week. They can stand lower temperatures for periods of time as long as they can warm up when they get chilled. For a single chick alone I wouldn't recomend to go far below that as a constant temperature. A chicks body temp is around 106 degrees and they can't regulate it well till they are older.

Oh Okay, But I Ordered 15 So Would It Be Lower?
Also Would You Know The Chances Of A Chick Getting Pasty Butt Is It A High Chance? especially For Shipped Chicks.

Sounded like you had one chick. Yes several of them together with huddle together to stay warm and can generate quiet a bit if heat. I would recommend to heat one area in the brooder 90- 95 degrees with a light, preferably red. Having most of the area cooler they can cool off will help with the pasty butt also.Stress from shipping can cause pasty butt but primarily I think temperatures being too high. They drink more water and cause their droppings to be thinner and it sticks to them. Some give a little plain yogurt,ACV in their water or probiotics to help their digestive systems also.

MC-- my 15 that I had delivered were fine-- all I did was have a 125 watt light hanging over their dog crate (one end) for 3 weeks-- never did even take the temp-- and they are fine-- no pasty butt and they were off heat starting yesterday (they are indoors still at night-- low about 72 degrees) ....

Sounded like you had one chick. Yes several of them together with huddle together to stay warm and can generate quiet a bit if heat. I would recommend to heat one area in the brooder 90- 95 degrees with a light, preferably red. Having most of the area cooler they can cool off will help with the pasty butt also.Stress from shipping can cause pasty butt but primarily I think temperatures being too high. They drink more water and cause their droppings to be thinner and it sticks to them. Some give a little plain yogurt,ACV in their water or probiotics to help their digestive systems also. 

Oh Okay, Thanks :)

MC-- my 15 that I had delivered were fine-- all I did was have a 125 watt light hanging over their dog crate (one end) for 3 weeks-- never did even take the temp-- and they are fine-- no pasty butt and they were off heat starting yesterday (they are indoors still at night-- low about 72 degrees) ....

That's Awesome! Are They All Still Alive? And From Wich Hatchery Did You Order Them From? Also How Many Times Did You Order From Them Did They All come Sucesfulll ?

Also Do I Have To Use A Heat Lamp? Cause My Heat Lamp Keeps On Burning The Light Bulbs! So I can't Use It Cause Each Time I Turn It On It's Burns One light Bulb. So Can I Use My Air Conditiner To Put It At The Heat That They Need. Also I was Asking About This Cause It's Been Usually Above 90's Degrees With Us But Know It Goes Up To 90 Degrees But Only For Like 2 Hours And The Rest Of The Day It'll Be Around 80 Degrees. So Can I Use The Air Conditioner? And What Would Be The Best Temperature To Put?

Last edited:
I use a regular 100W household bulb in a heat bell & raise or lower it as needed by watching the chicks. If they pile together under it it needs to go lower. If they scatter to the outside edges of the brooder away from it I raise it. I have never even checked the temps. More chicks together tend to need less heat & fewer chicks tend to need more. I also toss my birds to the coop in groups of 5 or more as soon as they are mostly feathered (2-3 weeks) once outside temps stay above 50F at night. Haven't lost any to the cold yet. I did close the coop door at night until temps were staying above about 65F overnight. They would pile together in a corner or in a nest box & be nice & toasty. No electric in my coops, so no heat either.

That's Awesome! Are They All Still Alive? And From Wich Hatchery Did You Order Them From? Also How Many Times Did You Order From Them Did They All come Sucesfulll ?

My chicks are thriving. I will put them out into the coop at 4 weeks. They are my first batch of Day olds-- I have some older ones I got at ages 1 and 3 weeks- that are already outside-- they are fine as well- my main concern now is mixing the 2 groups ( I want the chicks out of the house! But I only have one Coop...) I wanted a local Hatchery and I am in Northern CA so went with one not far from here called California Hatchery-- it was free shipping for 15 so I got 15...All 15 arrived well and remain well, they came 26 hours after hatch time so I do believe that was a factor....
PS I wouldnt use the air conditioner to regulate the chick temps-- 90's and even low 100's is fine for them. Even at 80 degrees I would have the heat lamp on them at night for the first few days (give them space to escape the lamp if it gets too hot for them) they are more fragile for the first week heatwise....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom