What time do your chickens put themselves to bed?

They are waiting by their coop every evening at 7pm. Even though the door is open, they sit outside and wait until I come out and start sweeping the floor, calling "chick chick chick!"....then one by one they follow each other in. I haven't waited to see if they will go in on their own yet, I'm guessing they would.

When our flock was larger and had 2 roosters, for years they always put themselves to bed a half hour before sunset. It was amazing. But later when the flock was smaller and the roosters had been gone awhile, they began staying up a little later sometimes.

The first year we had chickens, one night we forgot to put them to bed:
Wheelbarrow.jpg

Attachments

• Wheelbarrow.jpg
    Wheelbarrow.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 1
My hens go in while it is still sunny. I am not sure if they go by the time, or they know when the sun goes down. I am guessing they settle about an hour before it gets dark. I always do a head count before I lock the door.

Is there an automatic door that you can buy? If so, how does it work? I have to go close mine myself at sunset and forgot only once in two years, but that could have been tragic!

Mine seem to have to set time. They do tend to go in earlier if it is very cloudy in the west, but they also go in early on beautiful bright evenings for no apparent reason. I noticed a while back they stayed out later than usual when it was overcast, and we had a terrible storm later that night. I've heard some people say they like to fill up their bellies before a storm. I don't know. We let ours forage a couple hours every evening when we can sit with them as we have loads of predators around here. If we're working in the yard, we let them out most of the day. My Buff Orpingtons love staying out later than the others as if to tell the rooster, an Easter Egger, that he's not their boss.

Is there an automatic door that you can buy? If so, how does it work? I have to go close mine myself at sunset and forgot only once in two years, but that could have been tragic!

Try Chicken Guard. www.chickenguard.com They are a company that has a GREAT track record. I haven't had to close up my coop in years and the peace of mind that comes with this wonderful invention is worth any price.

Back
Top Bottom