What time of year should I breed my rabbits?

Well, we checked the rabbits today.. I am not am expert but they all appear to have testicles. Even the 'girls'.. I don't know how the one rabbit got 'bred' when she is a he?? Maybe (s)he didn't really get bred?? I got them and I was told that I had 2 girls and 2 boys.. Not so sure now.. Any ideas??

When a buck "does the deed," he grabs a mouthful of the doe's fur on her shoulders, and makes rapid thrusting movements with his pelvis. When he actually is successful, he gives one big thrust, usually grunts a couple of times or maybe squeals, and falls over to one side, sometimes taking the doe with him but usually pulling out the mouthful of fur in the process. On occasion, a young buck may go though all of this without actual penetration taking place.

When you flip a rabbit over, there is a fuzzy bump "back there." Are you seeing little sacs on either side of that bump, or just bare patches?

We rabbit people often joke about getting visited by the "sex change fairy," but that is in younger rabbits. By the time a rabbit is old enough to breed, there should be no doubt about what gender it is.

When a buck "does the deed," he grabs a mouthful of the doe's fur on her shoulders, and makes rapid thrusting movements with his pelvis. When he actually is successful, he gives one big thrust, usually grunts a couple of times or maybe squeals, and falls over to one side, sometimes taking the doe with him but usually pulling out the mouthful of fur in the process. On occasion, a young buck may go though all of this without actual penetration taking place.

When you flip a rabbit over, there is a fuzzy bump "back there." Are you seeing little sacs on either side of that bump, or just bare patches? Yes, they ALL 4 have sacks
sad.png

We rabbit people often joke about getting visited by the "sex change fairy," but that is in younger rabbits. By the time a rabbit is old enough to breed, there should be no doubt about what gender it is.
I never thought to look before now because I thought that the breeder knew what she was talking about! I guess I'm stuck with 4 males then...
hmm.png

I might just get a girl somewhere.. I wont eat them tho. They are just pets. I am not in it to make money:) just to have some pets! Thanks for all of the advice though!!

dont feel bad I had a friend that wanted to breed his doe. he brought it over we never looked. my male tried to breed it several times after no connection I told him to just leave it and i would try again the next morning. Well long story short when i picked up the doe i noticed it was a male. lol was i surprised. but to your question I raised show rabbits for 3 yrs i did breed once in the summer it wasnt pretty. Well she died and all of her young. i would only breed in august and september. our shows were in Jan and Feb and we had our meat pens

Back
Top Bottom