What to build????? Any ideas for me?????

chicken_angler

Coop Constructist
11 Years
Jun 23, 2008
a house
I want to build something. I feel like building something as a winter project. Anyone got any ideas for me? Should i build a moveable coop or a tractor? Anything else? If it is a coop, what size? I cnat make anything too big! Next year I want to get more chickies and I thought if I got a early start on a coop, it will be ready for spring!!!

Thanks to everyone in advance.

how much of a yard do you have to make a tractor for?

moveable coop? are you free ranging out of it? or are you making a moveable run to go with the coop?

I just needed a little info to help with the size and scope I used give you ideas for.

Good Luck

Nick

So as to keep Spring chicks separate from the hens, I plan on building a small coop this Winter. I think that it could be large enuf to keep them in 24/7 even if they never become integrated into the larger coop.

I'm shooting for the world's simplest design for the coop while still making it "cute" enuf so DW doesn't make me sleep in it. I'm torn between 2 ideas, however:

1. surround it with planters so that both the chickens and the plants can be attractive additions to the backyard.

2. make it as a "playhouse-style" tractor and movable.

Movable would be great but you can imagine how planters add so much weight that it wouldn't be easy to move . . . . what to do, what to do?

Steve

Last edited:
how many chicks are you needing to house? and what size chicks? little banties or something bigger like a rhode island red or barred rock?

It sounds like you need to build a coop at least 12'x20'. If you have the room, you should go a little bigger so your not adding on to it three months after the chickies move in.

If you need design ideas, talk to gopher boy and he will lead you in the right direction

Thanks guys.
I am not sure how many I want to get. I just thought it would be fun to build something and get some chicks in spring.

As to room for tractor/free-range, I have 6 acres. I dont need a 10 x 12 either! I have a 6x8 right now with 10 in it, 6 hens, 2 guineas.

I want it to be a fun and easy on the wallet project that I can do by myself. I am a teen (well 12) so I dont have a lot of money. You may think that I am a youngster, but I can build a lot of things. My dad has let me help him a lot over the years and now I am trying new things like making nestboxes and tractors. I have a lot of the tools i need so that isnt a prob!

Thanks!

Cody

Why would i need a 10x12? To start a farm? Yea right! My dad would move to hawaii! I was thinking that a new coop for turkeys would be good
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
lol.png
cool.png
wink.png

The only animals I have are 6 chickens, 2 guineas, 1 kitten, and about 15 fish!!! lol
hmm.png
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom