What to do about Pests/in particular, Mites

Sheeba

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2018
South Central MO
I believe my girls have mites. Some are quite young and others are middle aged and a couple are old and all ages are starting to have scaly legs. [except the old ones, they already have scaly legs] At first I wondered why cause they're too young I thought. Then today on BYC I saw someone mention their hens have it due to mites. I noticed they are twitching their heads too; is this also from mites? What can I do to get rid of them? Thanks so much for your feedbacks in adavnce!!

Diatomatious earth or mite dust for fowl! Get it done fast! Summer is going to explode the mite issue and they can literally kill your birds! You also want clean all the chicken areas whith mentioned products and id replace all bedding. They don't seem like much but they are basically walking anemia for birds, and chickens go down hill fast. You can also feed garlic, rosemary and other herds to make your birds blood unappetizing, if the birds are really bad, you can bath them and blow dry them

You want to get the dust to the base of their feathers and skin where the mites feed and lay eggs, you can massage it or put them in a bag and shake it so it gets into their feathers.

I believe my girls have mites. Some are quite young and others are middle aged and a couple are old and all ages are starting to have scaly legs. [except the old ones, they already have scaly legs] At first I wondered why cause they're too young I thought. Then today on BYC I saw someone mention their hens have it due to mites. I noticed they are twitching their heads too; is this also from mites? What can I do to get rid of them? Thanks so much for your feedbacks in adavnce!!
Scaly leg mites can be treated with plain old vaseline, apply up under the scales every few days for a few weeks. Scales may never look the same, if they do it will take weeks to see a big difference.

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Permethrin dust or spray works here for lice, apply 2-3 times at 7 days apart.
If you find mites other than the leg mites, here is info on the difference:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Back
Top Bottom