What to do about poopy butt?

JCT

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2022
I am a first time chicken parent. My 10 month old Orphington has a lot of poop clinging to her feathers under her vent; her eggs are still clean, but I would like to do something about the unsightly poop coated feathers. Cannot give her a bath now since it’s cold in NC. She is eating/drinking, and acting like her usually sprightly self. Observed her pooping today- it is normal. Appreciate any advice you may offer.
JCT

One of my 6 girls seems to occasionally have issues with poop getting stuck around the feathers around her vent. All I do is trim it up when I see a problem. I try to keep an eye on it but sometimes it's dried up a bit and I just cut through the poop! Just be careful. I use a blunt-head pair of scissors and do it when she's on the roost in the morning or at night and I put on a headlamp so I can see better. I've never had to bath her for poopy but feathers.

Pictures would really help, it could be vent gleet. Concerning the bath try filling a bucket with warm water bringing her in a wind free enclosure, washing exclusively her bottom, and then using a hair dryer to dry her feathers.
I know for sure it’s not vent gleet restrictions - her poop is normal in color and consistency. I will try your suggestion as soon as it gets a bit warmer here. Thanks for your input.

Some hens are bad at cleaning themselves. A dust bath + grooming with the beak usually takes care of it, but I've noticed some either don't care or can't do it. If it becomes too much I soak some rags and clean the feathers up or if it's caked I trim the feathers like My Three Chicks said.

Back
Top Bottom