What to do about puppy...

Oh goodness no!
I honestly can't stand the neighbor kids...

Talked toy dH and he said Hotwire is worth a try. Looks like we have a weekend project! Most likely, we will put it on a timer so it will automatically shut off when the kids are out and about as well as my brig able to turn it off if we head out at an odd time. I'll warn the parents of the neighbor kids.
Thanks for your help... We really want this all to work out.

Our yard is fenced on all sides... but the neighbor kids climb it to see the chickens... I think about liability.
My kids are 1 and 4... my 4 yo I don't worry about with the wire, it is my 1yo...
I've never been around hotwire, so I'm not sure how it works other than shocking the crap outta ya... is it expensive?
If you have neighbor kids climbing your yard fence then I would build a better/higher fence! I would also talk to the parents of these kids. Ideally you will want fencing areas to separate your dog(s) from your chickens. Perhaps give the chickens a 1/4 yard fenced area and the dog the rest. Sounds like a lot of headaches if a dog runs out the house door with the chickens out. Dogs can be trained but natural instincts to hunt are hard wired into dogs. Keep the dog and secure the chickens in better fencing.

I have two dogs that would kill every chicken I have if given the chance. I have tried training but had no luck. I can tell you that it is very stressful having that situation. Personally I would get rid of the dog and maybe try to find one that was okay with chickens and kids. That or get rid of the chickens, one or the other. I would also deal with the neighbor's kids. I would put up the electric fence for them! It's bad when you can't control your own property because of your neighbor's lack of respect for boundaries. I wouldn't worry about the 4 year old with the electric fence. If they come in contact it will just hurt a little, scare the crap out of them AND be a great learning tool that when mom says no I better listen. The one year old I would watch closely but I really don't think it could seriously hurt them either. You can get different shock strengths for your fence - something to keep a 2000 lb bull in or just something that will nip a dog and get its attention. The stronger ones do hurt pretty bad but I have never heard of one causing any serious injury to anyone.

I have horses, and dogs, and cattle, and chickens, and serious hot electric fencing. It will HURT if your head hits it, and could be really really bad for a toddler, who would surely hit their head! You don't need the kind of fence charger for your situation, so hunt up a less potent one and supervise the little guy. There is a report of a child KILLED by strong electric fencing, so be careful with your set-up and charger strength. My dogs would love to kill the chickens, but are fenced away from them. It would be a shame to send this puppy away for lack of training and supervision. THe dogs I've had that were safe around the birds got a LOT of training and management to be that way. Hoping for the best isn';t the answer, it takes effort and time. Mary

Back
Top Bottom