What to do about too many roos?

Sooner Magnolia

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 13, 2014
Central Oklahoma
Despite my using exclusively female pronouns on my chicks, it appears that I have 4 cockrels out of 10. They were hatched around June 10th. Obviously I don't need 4 roosters, but would be okay with 1 or maybe 2 if they are good with people. I'll probably add some more girls later. My husband always prefers when we don't have any roosters. However, we have a 13 week old heeler puppy, so it might be good to have some back up protecting the flock.

So, should I separate all 4 from the girls and see which one I want later? Choose 1 now and move the rest? Keep them all together until we have issues? Any tips or advice on picking a good rooster early would be appreciated.

Daughter's almost 9 now. I should probably update my profile picture. Definitely working on puppy. They are not loose together and she's learning they are "my chickens." Already have the training collar for when she forgets. Heelers are so smart, but puppies are very curious and impulsive.

My rooster took on a 40 lb dog to save his hen. I ended up pulling his head out of said naughty dogs mouth (no wounds just dazed). He still guarding the flock. He was the best rooster would let me pick him up very friendly.. I hand raised him. Now he is a jerk most of the time, but that's his job.. and he chased down a DOG.
IMG_2405.JPG

My rooster took on a 40 lb dog to save his hen. I ended up pulling his head out of said naughty dogs mouth (no wounds just dazed). He still guarding the flock. He was the best rooster would let me pick him up very friendly.. I hand raised him. Now he is a jerk most of the time, but that's his job.. and he chased down a DOG. View attachment 1864328

Some will....most won't.

Handsome rooster.

A few years ago I ordered a batch of mixed barred rock chicks because we wanted a rooster. Once I could tell which were hens and which were cockerels, I started handling the boys a bit more. Simple stuff like walking towards them to see if they’d move (good), or held their ground (not good); I let my hands dangle near them when eating to see if any were inclined to peck; then I started petting and picking them up, most would fuss and peck - hard. By 16 weeks it was actually really easy to pick one that was pretty nice, he wouldn’t bite and tolerated being picked up, and he’s been such a nice boy for me!
Also 17 week old Roos yield about 2-3lbs each for the freezer.
Good luck with your boys!

I just want to squoosh his little beard omg!:love
My rooster took on a 40 lb dog to save his hen. I ended up pulling his head out of said naughty dogs mouth (no wounds just dazed). He still guarding the flock. He was the best rooster would let me pick him up very friendly.. I hand raised him. Now he is a jerk most of the time, but that's his job.. and he chased down a DOG. View attachment 1864328

roosters731.jpg
reese71.jpg
Had to kill a few roosters tonight.
First time I've killed anything for food, other than a fish.
I don't pluck them. I carve the breasts from their carcass and chop off their legs & thighs.
I got 4 pounds 9 ounces from two birds.

The breasts are tender and delicious.
I make soup with the legs and thighs.

Back
Top Bottom