What to do ... Chicken sleeping in nesting box

When you say "roosting bar", is the roost made of metal or wood?
It is made of wood. I made them with wood just for that reason. I have felt a metal rod when it's cold and it's freezing!!!! Can't imagine what they would feel.

She is probably avoiding the RoostTimeRumble as her new feathers are 'uncomfortable'.
Molting birds often isolate, especially at roost time.
If you don't have 'extra' room on roost, or a separate roost,
you can just keep putting her on roost after dark and/or block nests.
She should get over her sensitivity within a week or so.
Yes, nest sleeping can become a bad habit,
because of the night poops it's best to discourage it.
Thanks aart!!! I have been going back and forth about blocking the nesting box at night or move her at night but I have decided as you suggested to move her at night. Let her sleep for a few hours and then move her. I hope she get all her feather soon.

Who said chickens are just dumb birds and doesn't take much to raise!!! :eek:

Could be. A few of mine try to sleep in the nest boxes if they are molting, ill/injured, or broody. I sometimes think they do it to avoid being picked on.

My silkie sleeps in a nest box. She often is the last one in at night. I have two Bantams that were my originals and 4 other birds that were introduced the same time as the silkie but as she is so small maybe she feels intimated by the others.

She has always slept in a nest box. I thought this was just because she couldn't jump on the perch. She had very damaged feathers when I got her as she was used for breeding and had a rough time of it with the roosters.

Do you think I should try to get her out of this habit by putting her on a perch? She can jump now as she has grown her feathers back. She is a very stubborn girl though so don't known if she will stay on a perch. What do you guys think?

I have been going back and forth about blocking the nesting box at night or move her at night but I have decided as you suggested to move her at night. Let her sleep for a few hours and then move her. I hope she get all her feather soon.
Depends on what is easier....I have a permanent hinged cover on my nests, I find that easier to close an hour before roost time then open back up when I lock up after dark.
Handle her carefully, the new pin/blood feathers are uncomfortable and filled with blood so if broken can bleed profusely.

Depends on what is easier....I have a permanent hinged cover on my nests, I find that easier to close an hour before roost time then open back up when I lock up after dark.
Handle her carefully, the new pin/blood feathers are uncomfortable and filled with blood so if broken can bleed profusely.
Definitely!! I did it last night and so far so good just was debating if I was doing the right thing. It is a little harder for me to cover the nesting boxes but this is also a first me for. If it become a problem I will think about making a cover.

My silkie sleeps in a nest box.

Do you think I should try to get her out of this habit by putting her on a perch? She can jump now as she has grown her feathers back. She is a very stubborn girl though so don't known if she will stay on a perch. What do you guys think?

I was always told to have them on the roosting bar. (Hence my dilemma as well regarding my chicken.) A while back when I got 2 new pullets, at night I had to actually place them on the roosting bar. I found it easier to place them there after dark. Everyone was sleeping so it went a lot smoother. It took about a week before they stood their ground and didn't get pushed off. I hope that helped but I don't know if someone has any better ideas

She is a very stubborn girl though so don't known if she will stay on a perch. What do you guys think?
IMO, no bird should sleep in a nest.
I do not want to clean nests daily, nor do I want poop on my eggs.
It's no-brainer for me.
Of course you must be sure your roosts are of adequate size and length,
and easily accessible, for your entire flock.

I hatch a new batch of birds every spring, so ended up hacking this cover.
Even tho I have tons of roost space, young birds find the nests much easier for sleeping and hiding away from older flock members. One year it took 2 months to get them to use to roosts, next years only 2 days to use the main roost with the big birds-brave bunch that.
Open:
full

and Closed:
full

Where are the nesting boxes in relation to the roosts? If they’re around the same height or higher the chx may choose to roost in the nest. I just dealt with this in a new coop i made, had to lower the boxes last week...

My chickens are stubborn, as is anything that is at my house (including the husband). They sleep in the nesting box on top of each other piled together and lay their eggs between the two perches in the middle of the coop. They are all confused. They also put themselves up at night.

I've discovered they lay sometime between noon and 4:30 pm rather than in the morning.

Last edited:
Chickens have down coats to sleep in ;)
That's true, aart. I wouldn't mind a down coat myself, but chooks can still get cold all the same. If a down coat was 100% guarantee of staying warm, no chook would ever die of cold. (Or 'chicken', should I say!) lol We only call the babies chickens in Aust. I'm getting used to the word chicken though, esp. after joining this great site!

Back
Top Bottom