What to do for a week of post-surgery bed rest?

Quote:
I am definitely that type. It would not be so bad if I was in pain and on medication, but I have a very high pain tolerance so I feel perfectly fine, just can't get up. I'm going stir crazy while having to watch soaps and paid programming all day long.

Yep, day time TV drives me insane too, all that canned laughter.
lol.png
One day at most would be all I could endure. If I couldn't sit up, I'd probably take the video games idea too. I have a few old games I wouldn't mind revisiting if I had the time.

Quote:
I am definitely that type. It would not be so bad if I was in pain and on medication, but I have a very high pain tolerance so I feel perfectly fine, just can't get up. I'm going stir crazy while having to watch soaps and paid programming all day long.

Yup, me too. I had the same ordeal three yrs ago - major knee surgery (ruptured my acl, mcl and ccl and tore my miniscus, what'd you do?) And painkillers are a joke for me too. I did crosswords, watched tv, talked to friends I hadn't talked to in years, lol. I couldn't get to my pc, so no internet, ugh! I did resort to taking the muscle relaxers bc they knocked me out and I was so bored sleeping was the best option.

Word Puzzles. Word puzzle books are cheap at the dollar stores. Don't require batteries and you can lay on your back and do them. Hope your recovery is quick!

I read this thread with foreboding. I tore the meniscus in my left knee on Thanksgiving night. My right leg has some neuropathy that has never healed right, so I'm looking at some surgery in the near future. I too will be sitting around with not much to entertain me, so I will be watching for ideas. Most will be nixed as using my hands for very long and they go numb or start spasming. I also have fibromyalgia so I feel like I have the flu all the time and some days much worse. Yeah me. Hope you get some ideas that will work for me too! Good luck and God speed that healing.

Quote:

Yup, me too. I had the same ordeal three yrs ago - major knee surgery (ruptured my acl, mcl and ccl and tore my miniscus, what'd you do?) And painkillers are a joke for me too. I did crosswords, watched tv, talked to friends I hadn't talked to in years, lol. I couldn't get to my pc, so no internet, ugh! I did resort to taking the muscle relaxers bc they knocked me out and I was so bored sleeping was the best option.

I had posterior patella realignment surgery on my left knee. They basically realigned my hamstring so that it holds my kneecap in place (dislocates and pops). I'm in a full leg immobilizer so every time I sit up, I cut off my circulation to my leg. I have been taking many naps, but then I end up waking up at 4am the next day.

Yuk. They used parts of my hamstring to replace the torn ligaments in my knee. I only had to use the immobilzer for two days. The worst part of it was trying to pee with that thing on! Can't get your pants low enough, then you end up tipped forward and risk peeing down your leg. I wound up leaning back and holding my leg up with one hand! (There's your TMI for the night)
Oddly, I lost eight lbs being stuck on the couch, I guess since I didn't use any energy I didn't get hungry.

make sure you change your position as often as you can you dont want bed sores on top of a bad knee..

can you lie on your tummy?

Yea it is difficult to maneuver. I have to stay in it until the 19th, when I get my staples taken out. I had the same surgery on my right knee 3 years ago so I can still get around fine with it, it just ends up catching on the steps when I try to come down them. (i learned to sit sideways on the toilet and take my good leg out of my clothing)

Last edited:
For 3 winters in a row I had knee surgery.(my 100 pound dog ran into my knee causing a tibia plateau break--very serious --basically broke my leg in half at the knee)

I got online, read alot of books, caught up with long lost friends, did my PT like I was told and did alot of other things I was told not to do like go out to the chicken coop and cook dinner on a walker. I was not a patient patient but I didn't mind sitting there zoned out on pain meds that don't do much but trick you into thinking it's all okay. Really my biggest problem was sitting still. It was like I had ADHD.

Back
Top Bottom