What to do for an oil gland that isn't working well

Co.Limerick
1f44c.png

Last edited:
I lived about 20 minutes from Tipp town, just over the Limerick/Tipperary border, until a month ago. I now live nearer Kilkenny city, but still in Tipps
smile.png
I love this part of the country.

Indeed I live in south limerick and am 8 minutes from Tipperary and 10 from Cork (Charaville) .
Would love if the rain stopped though XD
Hopefully our spring will be nice!

Indeed I live in south limerick and am 8 minutes from Tipperary and 10 from Cork (Charaville) .
Would love if the rain stopped though XD
Hopefully our spring will be nice!
i am not even close to either of you and would like for the rain to stop. I am soaked getting everyone put away tonight.
hmm.png

serv Babe dried out yesterday and his feathers looked good today since it's been raining he is back to being soaked, Iwas watching the 4 of them and all but him had water beading up on them only place he had beads was around his shoulders the rest was really wet. Maybe it will take molt before this works out but that is a long way off.

Last edited:
The neck feathers will always stay water proof with a lot of geese.
I've a feeling that babe doesn't like cleaning himself when he's dry ;)
We always have those geese and it seems that the majority of geese that don't keep themselves clean are ganders.
Just to let you know another thing which could be the problem is that the oil only does its job when the goose is dry, when they are wet it doesn't work so wait till you have a week of dry weather so the feathers can relax and let babe clean himself up a bit and let him do his neck squriming and head spinning on the tail area to get the oil when he's dry so he will be more waterproof ;)
Also a goose with broken feathers or has ruffled old feathers won't be waterproof and those areas on the goose will always be wet and not waterproof.

The neck feathers will always stay water proof with a lot of geese.
I've a feeling that babe doesn't like cleaning himself when he's dry
wink.png

We always have those geese and it seems that the majority of geese that don't keep themselves clean are ganders.
Just to let you know another thing which could be the problem is that the oil only does its job when the goose is dry, when they are wet it doesn't work so wait till you have a week of dry weather so the feathers can relax and let babe clean himself up a bit and let him do his neck squirming and head spinning on the tail area to get the oil when he's dry so he will be more waterproof
wink.png

Also a goose with broken feathers or has ruffled old feathers won't be waterproof and those areas on the goose will always be wet and not waterproof.
Well starting tomorrow we are to have some dry cooler air so maybe he'll dry out and get to work on his water proofing. You know I haven't seen him doing the head squirming head spinning stuff he actually looks like he is trying to wring out his feathers when they are so wet He pulls them through his bill. We'll see how he looks in a few days and I'll keep watch to see if he is working on his feathers.

Back
Top Bottom