What to do, what to do.....

Have you seasoned emu-keepers ever found them to be a real problem? Would a hand raised one be child-safe? And we have electric fence, two strands, the highest one at about 3.5 feet - could they jump this?

Yes, they can jump a 3.5 foot fence, and they don't respect electric fences either. In my opinion a hand-raised animal can be just as dangerous because sometimes they try and play with you and are not scared of you. I wouldn't want my 150 lb emu "playing" with my kids.
smile.png

They can jump a 6ft fence if they really were scared, but mine do fine in a 5ft fence. Electric fence has no affect on them, their feathers are very insulating, and when scared they just charge through w/o thinking. My emu were raised from a month old and are very tame. My nephews use to play with them ... supervised ,when they were grown before they moved. Emu are inquisitive by nature and entranced by shiny or sticking out things... this includes eyes and ears, hehe. You can train them NO, but it takes time. They aren't trying to be mean, they just are so entranced. they also like freckles. But if you train them that they are not allowed to touch those things, older kids would be fine with them...... depending of course on the emus temperament. ( Sometimes they still go for hubbies ear.... it sticks out a lot) hehe. But they aren't trying to tear it of, just using their beak like hands. They can pick at things very gently or aggressively, they are very nimble with the beak. Mine don't try to kick unless you are trying to grab their legs. It is Best to get a baby emu and expose it to everything you can and also rub on it and hold it alot.

So what kind of fencing do you suggest? I would prefer laying some sort of easy-to-do fencing. Any idea where I can get some (four) near Kentucky this spring?

Is there such thing as an easy fence?????????
lol.png
The closest to easy would be corral panels, but $$$$ and although I use them, my one emu knows how to crawl under them, though you could attach a 1X6 along the bottom. Cattle fencing and post would be the cheapest, if you can find it 5' tall. Horse no climb wire would be best, then you could also use wooden 4 board fence.

Last edited:
I fenced one side of our 15 acres with 5' cattle fence, set on 4x4's that are set in concrete, with a hot wire on top. I guess that could work for them? How big of space do a few need?

There's a passage somewhere in a George Orwell story about a animal that tries to bunt Orwell away while trying to eat the bread offered to it. My emus belong to this category: I am wheat, and I've no doubt that if the wheat could feed itself to the emus, I'd be immediately surplus to needs.

This is, though, only a joke. The fun for me is that they AREN'T pets. I'm just fortunate to be a part of their world -- and at present, morning feeding has become a real experience: my emus are in Constant Drama Mode, and are learning to eat from my hand WHILE leaping, kicking, hissing, feather-flaring, walking sideways, and making high-speed circuits of the house-clearing.

Supreme Emu

Don't you think that if this emu is visable to you as you drive through town that it's also been seen by your local law enforcment officials and animal control officers? If its owners were breaking any laws I'd think that action would have already been taken. Why do you assume it's being treated with cruelty? It sounds as if its basic needs are being met. Perhaps you should stop into that taxidermy shop and talk to the emu's owners, you may be pleasantly surprised.

There is a wide spectrum of ways a person can keep animals and not be cruel to them. Certainly some animals enjoy more pampered conditions, but those who don't aren't necessarily suffering because of it.

You are smart to research emu needs & care before actually acquiring one. Find out what a fair price is for an emu in your area and perhaps you can make this bird's owner an offer.

Back
Top Bottom