What to do with all the chickens???

skeeter9

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Foothills of Central CA
I am really getting into this chicken thing and I'm just wondering what you guys all do with all the eggs/chickens you breed?

I'd love to breed some beauties, but I can't keep them all.

skeeter....i raise mine for egg production. I have RIR/Mix one yr olds...and 18 buff orps. I have a hard time keeping up with all my egg orders from outside the family now...so, hopeing my buffs grow and lay fast!! Wont get eggs from them till end of August.

I also am raising a few cornish x...for the freezer and a few frizzles...just for the fun. The tiny eggs are given to my grandson. He just loves the " kid sized eggs" for breakfast!

Mine are strictly pets. We are ordering 30 from McMurray and a friend of ours with a farm is taking the roos and remaining hens.

I already have plenty of wonderful hens and one rooster that are very spoiled and keep us in eggs.

Maybe I will try to sell the eggs, but I would also like to try to hatch some just to see what I can get. Is there a market for young birds as well?

I take my unwwanted roos and extra pullets to the local livestock auction. I only get about $2 a bird but it works out well for me. My family eats the eggs and we give the extras to other family and neighbors. Each one of my dogs gets an egg a day too - keeps their coat nice and shiny!

Our dogs get eggs as well and it sure makes a difference in their coats, etc.

I will check and see where the nearest livestock auction is around here. I know there are lots of them, but I think they only do horses and cattle????

Raw. Much of the time they find their own if some of my hens decide to be lazy and lay their eggs on the ground outside their pen when they are free-ranging. They probably average 2 or 3 eggs apiece per week.

Back
Top Bottom