What to do with chickens you don't want

Nov 18, 2023
I was thinking about maybe doing a few breeds with my backyard flock, but I realized that I can't keep them all, and if no one wanted the chicks what could I do? Lots of sights say butcher them. I cannot do that as my partner is vegetarian and is very against that.
any ideas?

I was thinking about maybe doing a few breeds with my backyard flock, but I realized that I can't keep them all, and if no one wanted the chicks what could I do? Lots of sights say butcher them. I cannot do that as my partner is vegetarian and is very against that.
any ideas?
1) limit the number of eggs you set
2) think about what to do with your chicks when nobody wants them. This could happen.

Buy sexed chicks or started pullets.
Sell unwanted birds on craigslist.
Last ditch effort would be giving them away free.

Plan on an occasional oops male. Those I used to give away. My city changed the rule and now as long as no one complains we can keep them.
A big YEAH for my oops rooster I got last March.

any ideas?
You could post them here in your state thread, the for sale thread, and rehoming thread.
There's also placing flyers at your farm supply stores like Tractor Supply, and also local Facebook groups and Craigslist for sale in farm and garden section. Search 'chickens' and a whole slew of free and for sale with pop up. Others buy birds cheap to slaughter or for their flocks, all ages.

1) limit the number of eggs you set
2) think about what to do with your chicks when nobody wants them. This could happen.
Limiting numbers is also important because broodies and chicks need a lot of space too.

I always managed to give give away the cockerels for free to join a flock of hens. My chickens are not interesting for meat because they are so small. The hens are always easy to sell. I advertise for free on a Dutch ‘Marketplace’ like Craigs list. Sometimes it takes up to 2 -3 months to rehome the cockerels but I always succeeded.

Back
Top Bottom