What To Do With Extra Male Buttons?

Mr Oviraptor

Songster
Dec 9, 2021
So, I'm going to hatch my first Buttons, Before I do what do you do with extra males?, Butcher?, I mean they wouldn't have much meat on them I'm sure, Or can you do a bachelor pad?

So, I'm going to hatch my first Buttons, Before I do what do you do with extra males?, Butcher?, I mean they wouldn't have much meat on them I'm sure, Or can you do a bachelor pad?
Depends on the amount of space you have to house them, and whether the long-term cost of keeping them is worth it. Would you keep them for breeding?

Perhaps a quail broth/stock is the way to go if they're not super meaty 😂
Or dog food? :idunno I like to consider the quality of life if they have to be kept seperate just to keep them alive. But I'm a softie!

Buttons pair, so you don't have to worry as much about extra boys. In my experience, the girls are more fragile, though, so I have ended up with extra boys. They do better in a bachelor pad than coturnix, but you still want to watch in case one gets picked on.

A group of bachelors has always worked nicely for buttons. The only issue they might fight about is if there are females nearby.

I always try to encourage my buyers that don't want to breed quail and just want them for an aviary or whatever to just get my extra boys.

A group of bachelors has always worked nicely for buttons. The only issue they might fight about is if there are females nearby.

I always try to encourage my buyers that don't want to breed quail and just want them for an aviary or whatever to just get my extra boys.
That's what I would do too. A pair of boys that you know get along are a good choice for pets. People often like them because they're more colourful than the girls too.

LOTR - Boil em.gif

Back
Top Bottom