What to do with found bunny rabbit??

starshrike

Songster
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
My sister/bf/friends found a black bunny last night outside a Safeway. They only picked it up since it looked domesticated, well fed, and friendly.

Unfortunately I'm not around right now to get a picture - all I know it's solid black, upright medium sized ears. I will be back hopefully tomorrow and can get a better look at the critter. If nobody claims and likely the humane societies are overrun with rabbits, I may just end up keeping it. I have a spare clean cage + water bottle on hand when I get back.

I haven't had a rabbit/bunny in YEARS (aka since I was a wee kid). I told them to keep it in a box, give it hay + water for now. It had part of a carrot last night. It seems housetrained, it only does its business in one area, separate from it sleeping area.

sounds to me like someone dumped the poor thing. sounds like you remember how to keep a rabbit happy. Good Luck!
bun.gif

awwwwwwwww could it have gotten out of someone's yard nearby the store?

Sounds like you have everything you need. Get some rabbit food from the feed store and it should be as happy as can be.

We found a mini-lop in our front yard years ago and no one claimed it (we asked all over), so we kept her. She was the sweetest rabbit I've ever had. Our children adored her and we still miss her now that she's gone.

Sounds to me like this is one very fortunate rabbit to have been found by your sister. I think you should take it in and make it part of your family!! (Do ask around though ... it could be some little child's pet that accidentally got out and this child is desperately looking for it.)

I know. Most found animals are more scraggly, but this looked like a well fed, even tempered rabbit.

I've posted a few found ads, asking the local vet (within the same plaza) and seeing if the humane society nearby has any lost ads.

I will probably end up keeping it if nobody claims it.. its puppy/kitten/bunny season, so its likely if I bring it in, it may just sit in a cage or even be euthanized
sad.png

We had a rabbit come around the house a year or so ago. While we were debating what to do, the next door neighbors acquired a trap, caught it, and turned it into a house bunny. Its housebroken, and gets along great with their border collie mix and the two kids. They love it. A few years earlier, a big white rabbit came around. It would hop circles around our feral rooster (he looked mildly annoyed). When it started chewing down all my plants, I patched up all the holes in the fence so it couldn't get into the back yard. Shortly after that it disappeared. I still feel bad about that.

What a lucky rabbit to have found your house! They love to eat fresh clover, pieces of carrots, and slivers of apples as treats. Good luck with your new addition to the family!

Well, ever since the bunny has come into my house (quarantined from my chinchillas, chickens, dog).... my allergies have gone BEZERK.

I suppose I am severely allergic to rabbits. I knew I was allergic to cats, but I never realized it was this bad with rabbits. I'm lucky I'm not allergic to dogs! Chinchillas are okay - except for when they're freshly dusted.

Since it's spring, I've already been on Claratin - but now I need to take Benedryl at night too after I change his (or her) food/water/etc. Doesn't even keep down the wheezing
sad.png

So I will likely have to re-home him soon if I don't find his/her owner. Will update again soon, with picture. I will have to figure out what breed/sex/est on age soon.

Oh, dear. I'm sure some one dumped the little guy there. How sad. I hope you can find a new home - you can try the House Rabbit Society (www.rabbit.org) to see if they have a local chapter. They will help you find a wonderful home for the bun.

It could be an escapee. I've had several to go on adventure over the years, never to be seen again. I'm glad you all were able to catch it. Domestic rabbits never live long in the wild. Lucky Bunny!
bun.gif

Editing: What kind of bedding is he on? Maybe thats what your reacting to and not the bunny. If not try craigslist...maybe you could find him a good home there if not on the Swap board here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom