What to Do With Giant Eggs

Quote:
I'm jealous! We just moved to this house in February and it is my first summer in 10 years without AC. I have been displeased to find this house has very POOR insulation. We are basically living in a tent. It is 3-5 degrees cooler inside than it is outside. It was 95* in the living room/dining room/kitchen yesterday. A bit better today at 85*. Still not temps I will keep eggs on the counter. No half formed chicky omlettes for me.........and I speak from experience!!
sickbyc.gif

Quote:
My Golden Comet laid a huge egg, but it wasn't round. It's really long and is full of ridges. Do you think she had trouble laying it? I heard alot of loud clucking in the coop at about the same time my two Comets were in there! I sell my eggs and was wondering if this one is alright to eat. Or should I just break it open myself and give it to the chickens?
D.gif

I have a what I think might be a RIR but she is lighter red then most, that has been laying giant brown eggs like that everyday for 3 weeks straight!! I took 2 out of her nest and put them in the bator. Ever since I did that she stopped laying. I miss those big eggs.
sad.png
never did get a double yoke though. I hope she starts to lay soon. she was my best hen.

D.gif
Does anybody know why an egg that was laid by my Red Comet has ridges going around it? It is also twice the size of her usual eggs and is long instead of oval. I heard loud clucking coming from the coop when she was in there. It must have hurt!
hit.gif
OUCH

Quote:
Washington state where the OP is from is having record heat this summer, they would go bad way to quickly, I would not want to take that chance with my family. I do this most of the winter, but summer is another story. I love to leave them on the counter and be at room temp ready to use also.

Eggs out during the summer is completely alright. I lived in Costa Rica for a week and that's one of the first things I noticed-eggs in the grocery store were set out on the shelves. At home, they were left out on the counter. They didn't go bad to quickly. I ate em and I'm still tickin and they didn't make me sick. I don't think the record heat of WA state can beat the everyday heat of the dry season in Costa Rica..

WOW! Makes me glad I got six golden comets. They should be ready to lay by the end of September.

That egg is not only huge, but it is also a beautiful shade of brown.

Back
Top Bottom