What to do with Last Rooster

branjscott

Hatching
Aug 11, 2019
We've had a small backyard flock for a few years, but are about to move across country. I've re-homed 4 hens, two ducks and one rooster, and feel good about that. However, we have 1 rooster left - he's about 3 and a half, a big boy (some kind of mix), and a little ornery. As of today, he's the last one left. He's been an amazing protector and breeder, but I just haven't been able to get anyone to take him.

Here's my question: considering his age, disposition, and that he's always been the head of a flock, what's the best thing to do FOR HIM? Options I have thought of: 1) post him on Craigslist. We're in TN (in Nashville), so I can likely get someone to take him, but, I'm afraid of him being used as a bait animal or used in cock fights. Am I being paranoid about that? 2) Keep him around by himself until we close up, and hope that something will turn up. That would mean leaving him human-alone as well as without a flock for days at a time as we go back and forth. 3) Call it a day, praise his work, and finish him off as quickly and painlessly as possible. I don't take killing him lightly, but I have butchered animals before and understand that there are multiple types of suffering.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Bran

Afraid that at 3 1/2 he is not likely to find a new flock, especially since he is a mixed breed. Some humane societies will take a rooster, and euthanize him for you if you are moving and do not have the time. He will not be happy alone, as you know. Best to do what is right quickly, knowing that he has had a far better and longer life than 99.9% of his kind!

1) post him on Craigslist. We're in TN (in Nashville), so I can likely get someone to take him, but, I'm afraid of him being used as a bait animal or used in cock fights. Am I being paranoid about that?

I have to disagree with @aart on this one... dog fighters are always looking for a free animal to use as bait to train their dogs with. No one should ever post a free animal on there. Always post with a "small rehoming fee"... I often just waive the fee when people come for the animal and are willing to pay it.

I have been fortunate enough to find people through Craigslist that want a rooster for a pet, or flock guardian, or bug control. You can never tell how a bird will behave after he's been re-homed. Some aggressive ones become docile and vice versa, as the flock dynamic changes in his new home (bossy hen puts him in his place for example). You can offer him for a cheap price and ask the person what their intent is. He/ she may lie but sometimes you can get lucky and find someone who wants them for bug eating or to replace a rooster recently lost. I had one little boy who just loved "fancy roosters" and would take any that I had. Another wanted a flock of bachelor roosters to keep the ticks out of the dogs' yard. So...I say try Craigslist before euthanizing. But you can afford to be choosy about it.

Back
Top Bottom