What to do with lonely orphan chick?

Petra Pancake

Songster
7 Years
Jul 15, 2016
In the suburbs of Tel Aviv
My flock has been decimated a lot over the last week or so, I've lost 2 broodies that were with chicks and another hen to a weird disease (necropsy is under way). A very determined stray cat has made an all-you-can-eat buffet of the baby chicks of both groups when their moms died (my fault, didn't secure them enough). Now I've got 3 chicks that are 6 weeks old from one hen and only 1 chick, 3 weeks old from the other hen left. The 3 "big" ones are together in a cage since yesterday and the one small one is in a cage of its own since today. Should I put it in with the others? They are much bigger. And there is still the question if either one caught their moms' diseases. On the other hand, the little one is lonely and chirping. Can one raise a chick alone? What should I do?

Good you're getting a necropsy. That will remove all guessing as to what you're dealing with and how to manage your flock going from here. All adults and chicks have already been exposed, so no need to take special action until you know the results.

You need to keep all the chicks together for their well being and flock cohesion. The size difference is a concern so rig an enclosure so the chicks can be together yet the smallest one will have its own section for the time being.

Even baby chicks have a social order. They need to be in proximity to one another for them to get acquainted and to learn where each stands in relation to the others. It's a given that the smallest will be intimidated by the size of the older ones. Keeping them together yet apart for a week or so will give the youngest time to learn the temperaments of the older ones without losing its self confidence.

To make things work, the smallest chick needs to have plenty of room once you let them all mingle. Provide vertical (perches or platforms) space for the smallest to retreat to as well as partitions to hide behind. One of the biggest mistakes folks make with chicks is to provide too little space. You are dealing with chickens, not caged parakeets.

The size difference will become much less of an issue very quickly as chicks grow so fast. I would say in three weeks, all the chicks should be getting along as a unit.

If you conduct your chick integration alongside the adults, you can nab two birds with one net, so to speak. While the chicks are getting to know each other, they can also be learning about the adult temperaments. Keeping a flock together from the beginning helps in creating a harmonious flock.

How about a secure run? I saw no mention of a run. Chicks require a secure enclosure until they are large enough not to be easy prey.

My flock has been decimated a lot over the last week or so, I've lost 2 broodies that were with chicks and another hen to a weird disease (necropsy is under way). A very determined stray cat has made an all-you-can-eat buffet of the baby chicks of both groups when their moms died (my fault, didn't secure them enough). Now I've got 3 chicks that are 6 weeks old from one hen and only 1 chick, 3 weeks old from the other hen left. The 3 "big" ones are together in a cage since yesterday and the one small one is in a cage of its own since today. Should I put it in with the others? They are much bigger. And there is still the question if either one caught their moms' diseases. On the other hand, the little one is lonely and chirping. Can one raise a chick alone? What should I do?
I've had a few single chick situations...i had one little baby that cried so bad i had to keep my hand in its box all the time! Put the single chick in a cage next to the others. As long as the single baby can be close to the others it will be much less stressed. Also..they older chicks will become accustomed to the "outsider" and eadier w intregrate.I have a cage with a wire divider. Works great for situations like this. After a week or so...u should be able to put it with the older chicks.

Back
Top Bottom