what to do with my Rooster!!

Peepfreak59

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Mineral, VA/Clarkrange, TN
I was given two Roosters about 5 weeks ago, one was a 7 week old Leghorn to go with my hens and the other was a Rhode Island Red about 6 weeks old to go with the Sex links, but the Sex link hens were 17 weeks old and did not want him around, soooooooo I put him in with the leghorns and he has faired well, now he has gotten big, with his tail feathers and all his glory so I put him in with the Sex links again. They still have not accepted him, he is very scared and stays to himself and won't crow, Any advice..... He jumped into the other run today to go back with the leghorns and they don't want him, I feel so bad, I talk to him and tell him what's up....... Help:idunno

Maybe you just need to give him some time to adjust......if they are too mean to him, can you put him in their area, maybe partitioned off, so they can see him but not touch him? Then they will get used to him, and in a few weeks you can let him join the flock and things won't be so dramatic for him.

Good luck to you!

Thank you for the advice, I will do that tomorrow!!!
thumbsup.gif

Leave him in with the sex link pullets for awhile, as long as they aren't trying to kill him. He'll man up as soon as he reaches sexual maturity. Since the pullets are older than he is he has to earn his place at the top of his flock.

Back
Top Bottom