What to Feed Coturnix Quail

silkie1472

Songster
Dec 28, 2016
I currently have several Coturnix quail that are right over 6 weeks old. Many are starting to lay, but I am concerned with what I am feeding them. Ever since they were little chicks they have eaten the 30% purina game bird feed that TSC carries; however, I am wondering if I need to change their feed to a lower protein. The feed label says that coturnix quail should only be fed the 30% feed for 6 weeks and then switched over to the breeder layena feed that Purina offers. The issue is that no other local stores offer grower/breeder feeds for game birds.

What do you guys think I should do? Would a chicken layer mash suffice or would it need to be specifically for quail/game birds?

Now that they're over six weeks old, you can start changing them over to layer feed or standard game bird crumble. I feed mine either Bar Ale or Hunt & Behren's game bird crumble with eggshell or oyster shell on the side. A lot of people do fine on standard layer feed.

Too much protein as they get older can cause gout.

Now that they're over six weeks old, you can start changing them over to layer feed or standard game bird crumble. I feed mine either Bar Ale or Hunt & Behren's game bird crumble with eggshell or oyster shell on the side. A lot of people do fine on standard layer feed.

Too much protein as they get older can cause gout.
Can also cause fatty liver disease and takes a toll on the kidneys, too!

Back
Top Bottom