what to feed if not enough nutrient that effect the egg?

kay-chan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 20, 2009
I have 3 hens 2 rhode island red and 1 buff orinton, 1 of my red and buff are about the same age and my 2nd red is the youngest. i bought them all at the same time so when they started laying, my buff went 1st and now the red, so they lay good egg each and nothing wrong, but the other day i found out my youngest red just started laying but it was broken egg and thin. But today i found her egg whole but thin shell that i can squish around with out breaking it. so wut is wrong with my youngest and wut do i feed her, so she can lay healthy egg like her other bigger sisters?
sad.png

It could just be a glitch in the system, that's not uncommon when pullets first start laying. It could also be a lack of calcium. If it's a calcium problem adding oyster shell free choice should take care of it. The pullets and hens that need it will eat it and the ones that don't need it will leave it alone.

You need to feed them a calcium supplement then. Layer feed has clacium in it --- and if you feed layer feed they will definitely lay more/better eggs.

You should probably also buy a bag of crushed oyster shell and just put out a dish of it for them to eat. The oyster shell provides calcium for the chicken to make egg shells out of.

what is in a layer feed? can i feed bannanas? or is eating regular boiled egg better for them?

Quote:
You may feed bananas and boiled eggs to the birds as treats.

A bag of "layer feed" also called "egg maker" or "layer pellets" or even "layer crumbles" can be purchased at your feed store in a 50# bag for $10-15 and should feed your hens for over a month.
It is designed to ensure the bird has the right nutrients to produce eggs. "Layena" is the Purina brand name layer feed: http://www.purinamills.com/OurProducts.aspx?product=poultry

You
asked what you should feed if your bird doesn't have enough nutrients to make a good egg. The answer is "layer feed" Here are some good tips: http://www.plamondon.com/faq_feed.html

Back
Top Bottom