"What to feed your chickens so they survive winter."

Hi,
My sister sent me this video. I'm curious to hear your input. I live in the northeast and I am very concerned about winter. It's already been cold and dropped down to 31* overnight last night. Please let me know your thoughts and more suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much in advance. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Put a 25 watts bulb closed to the floor and keep it on. They will hang under it and will stay warm. Watch water, it may freeze. U may opt to put water on top of those small candle/popurri /coffee heaters.

Hi,
My sister sent me this video. I'm curious to hear your input. I live in the northeast and I am very concerned about winter. It's already been cold and dropped down to 31* overnight last night. Please let me know your thoughts and more suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much in advance. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
A few years back, when I first got our chickens, Everythingworried me.. cołd… bullying… enough water…enough food… I worried about everything…These wonderful creaturs taught me these chickens are extremely resilient liking with stand the cold they can withstand the heat their survivors I have learned to relax, and not to worry about it in most climates. As long as you can keep the wind off of the chickens they’ll be fine as long as they have safe shelter.
If you relax and do some of the good things this group suggests ive found the chickies do the heavy lifting.

Hi,
It's my understanding that corn or scratch, right before bedtime will help them stay warm. I also notice that mine huddle when they're cold. They're all about a year old now and our winters rarely get below 30°F and when they do it's for short periods. I'm in Eastern NC. I worry about mine too so I do use clear plastic over the upper walls of my coop (it's made from chain link and hardware cloth so it's open) and the lowest 3 feet. I leave the center open- it's above their heads when they're walking around and below them when they're roosting. One wall is actually an adjacent wall of my greenhouse and another wall is their nesting boxes and a privacy fence panel that I brought in. So therefore, that chain link wall is covered by the fence panel and a wall of nesting boxes and there's no need for plastic. Basically, there are only two walls open to the elements and I cover the top and bottom of them like I described. There's also a full size door with a top screen that's covered in clear vinyl in the winter and their automatic door is at the bottom and is closed at night of course. The floor is sand, which is cooler in winter but hasn't been a problem yet. I don't use a water heater because their waterer is a 40gal barrel that won't freeze. I've read that unless temps are VERY low, they should be fine.

Like many of these videos there are some elements of truth buried behind the appalling sales pitch style presentation and lack of understanding of the basis behind those elements of truth.
It is true that some cracked corn will provide fast burn carbohydrates which can help keep the chicken warm. They don't die if they don't get any.
Extra protein can help during the colder months at the start of winter particulalry if they are still finishing a moult.
Chicken do feel the cold. It doesn't take much observation to see at what temperatures they feel a bit chilly. They have after all evolved from a tropical environment.
Damp and cold in a poorly ventilated coop isn't going to promote good health the same as it doesn't for us. However, good ventilation is not a bout square metres of ventilation. Where the ventilation is and how the air moves through the coop is far more important.
I didn't like the video and I didn't like the presenter.

I'm in Eastern NC.

In Eastern NC the chances of it getting cold enough to ever need to actually enclose the coop are very slim.

Here in central NC, in the Sandhills region, I *can* get storm winds from any direction, so I have a few extra wind baffles in place when expecting storms, but my goal is merely to shelter the roost from direct wind. If I were in an area where winter storms always came from the same direction I wouldn't bother with it.

You can see my setup and the results in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/open-air-coop-in-the-snow.1508695/

The only thing I do differently in winter is watch for drafts (I close the pop door if it gets below 30 or so. Otherwise it's open all year) and give them fresh lukewarm water in the morning (because I have to get it from the tap since the hose isn't connected outside). I carry a gallon of hot water out too in case any of the latches are frozen shut and to make mash from their regular pellets on really cold mornings. None of this is a change from regular chicken-keeping. Clean, dry bedding and fresh water are every day stuff. These people that make YouTube expert videos must have real people in their lives and comments telling them to get real jobs...right? Are people just nodding along and patting them on the back or what? There are some good things on YouTube. It's like a going garage saling. You will probably have to dig through a lot of junk and argue about what it's worth 😂

Nutritionally, it would be much better to pour warm water over their regular feed to make a wet mash from it.

All my chickens love warm mash in the winter and cool mash in the summer.

It's unnecessary, but it does help them stay hydrated under stress conditions.
My girls get really excited for warm mash on a cold day. Plus, it's a good way to use up some of that powdery feed at the bottom of the bag.

I've given them just the oatmeal out of the package already and they love it. I just read somewhere about giving them a nice heated bowl of it and thought I'd try.
Yes, I've been offering them warm oatmeal when the weather has gone down to the low 20s & I actually bought the heated water container before I even got them as babies. :)🐣

Back
Top Bottom