What to put on ground of chicken run?

My chickens just have dirt in their run. Do I need to put something down? I rake it out once a week, and it hasn't been smelly or anything.

My chickens just have dirt in their run. Do I need to put something down? I rake it out once a week, and it hasn't been smelly or anything.
I would say it depends on how wet it is where you live. Its been down pouring here in Eastern Colorado lately, and even though the sand is wet...its not muddy! If your dirt starts to become a problem you can always dump some sand in there I would guess! I really like my sand.

I was wondering that myself. My run currently has grass in it and the hens haven't cleared any of it out so I have to go in and weed whack it down. I live in a snowy winter area and not sure what to do about the snow on the grass in the winter. The coop is pretty good size and not sure if they'll even come out to the run in the snow. I'm still learning about these funny addictive creatures. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

As you can see, chickens hate snow. They won't go anywhere near it. It just scares them silly. It's common knowledge on this forum that chickens will not, just absolutely refuse, to go on snow.

That is, unless they do. Normally mine avoid snow the first day or so but one will eventually get brave enough to go outside and the rest soon follow. This snow fell during the day while they were out and they just never came in.

I

As you can see, chickens hate snow. They won't go anywhere near it. It just scares them silly. It's common knowledge on this forum that chickens will not, just absolutely refuse, to go on snow.

That is, unless they do. Normally mine avoid snow the first day or so but one will eventually get brave enough to go outside and the rest soon follow. This snow fell during the day while they were out and they just never came in.

I had no idea they hated snow. Should make for an interesting winter!

I think I have a solution to this issue with the shavings. When I had 2 month old chicks we kept them in a dog cage and used pine shavings. Our solution to the shavings being kicked out and scattered was to put a layer of bubble wrap around the entire cage.

This was a very helpful post! I was thinking about what I should put in my run but wasn't sure. After reading the whole thread I'm going with sand.

For those with sand in their coop/run, I just got a manure fork from the feed store, fastened 1/4 inch hardware cloth over it, and I had a long handled super easy scoop. Works like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom