What to put on ground of chicken run?

Gee, after all these years and having my attention brought to this thread, I apparently never posted the picture of the "Nifty Sifter". Shame on me. Or maybe I posted it somewhere else. At any rate, for those who were interested, here is a picture of what I use to clean my coop. Just rake up the poo, shovel on, and shake it good.

Makes clean up quick and efficient. After a few months, since some of the sand is tossed out over time, I just add clean sand to the run to keep it at a good level. After cleaning the run, I sprinkle a liberal layer of Oyster shell lime and DE. I have never had to remove any of the materials because of odor problems.

On the inside of my coop, I use the deep litter method. After 6 years I still have not clean out the coop. There is no odor there either.

Good luck everyone with whatever you decide to do in your run and coop.

Thanks! That Nifty Sifter looks like a great idea. As I will be going in with sand, I'll have to build one for myself.
smile.png

Hi,
i'm building my run. I like your idea of growing oat. where do you buy your oat seeds and can you share the pics of the run where the oat is growing?

Thanks
Reshma

I think I've posted this before, but forgive me if this is a repeat. I plan on having a 12 x 12 minimum run (chain-link) with hardware cloth a few feet up and extending beneath the surrounding planter boxes (not brick). The top will be covered with hardware cloth. I'm considering using sand in the run and have holes drilled (screen-covered) in the planter boxes to provide more drainage outward. The inner sides of the planter boxes will be attached from inside the run, so they can't be moved. I have not made any decision about coop design, pre-fab or self-built, just yet, just mainly about setting up a nice perimeter before adding all the chicken amenities and, believe me, the will be spoiled. Six hens would be the max for me, and a small enough number for me to bond with them.

These boxes will extend around the entire perimeter of the run, minus the doorway, and about 3-ft wide and about 12 inches deep. I don't know what critter would wanna go through the effort of digging under a 3-ft wide box underladen with hardware cloth to get at a chicken. The overall picture is NOT Fort Knox, but should deter all but big bears and maybe some humanoid predators/thieves and vandals.

This is just a preliminary drawing of my plans about two years ago, not drawn to scale. I live in a neighborhood with an HOA (Home Owners Assassination), so I have to keep it below the 5-ft brick walls so as not to be offensive(?) to the neighbors and the overall asthetics of the community.

Maybe I'm starting from the outside in, which may be wrong in some eyes, but it's also like preparing for a new baby on the way...getting the room painted and all safety issues addressed, and finally getting the right crib, changing table and rocking chair to put the icing on the cake and fit in with the whole scheme of things. God Bless you chicken folks and all your wonderful ideas! --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

Does the sand ever get too hot for their feet??

My, this is an old thread. My run has been completely redesigned, and the sand that is in there will be turned over with a hand-held rototiller, hoping to aerate the soil more. It's enough that I live in the desert, but sand just makes the area look more "barren." I don't like the idea of chickens scratching around in sand only...reminds me of a giant litter box with no thrills. They need some dirt, leaves, grass, weeds, wood chips, hay etc., to dig up and customize to their liking. Put a bunch of stuff in there and you'll reap the benefits of having deep nitrogen-rich litter to spread over your flower beds and gardens.

My new run starting with a 4x4 center post and branching out to four 8x8 foot squares.

The wide opening in the center will be a doorway to get a wheel
barrow in there, if need be.

My chicken observation deck is completely screened off from the internal run,
only using one half of the fourth 8x8 square. After turning that soil under and
adding other materials, those bottom boards will disappear with deep litter,
leaving a completely open area to walk through.

All I have to do is finish screening it in with remaining 1/4 inch hardware cloth,
including the top, extend hardware cloth at least 36 inches around the perimeter
with planter boxes covering it around all sides.

The coup is a work in progress, constantly being redesigned, either 6x6 or 7x7 to
accommodate my 6-12 hens and will fit in that upper quadrant furthest from the
house and neighbors.

I have no idea where this design came from, but it works for me. It's only five feet tall
to keep it below the wall (not to offend the HOA=Home Owners Assassination)
in case anyone should complain. I am allowed to own a "reasonable" numbers of
chickens, whatever that means.

Wow, I drifted off quite a bit. Using sand could be a benefit depending on what
part of the country you live. Check out the older posts for pros and cons of using
sand. I don't think it's gonna work for me living out in Tucson, Arizona.

Sand is not expensive, so give it a try and see how it works for you. You'll know quickly
if it turns out to be a PIA. I think our girls deserve better than a big sand box after all
they do to provide us with eggs, meat and entertainment. --BB

Bobby Basham
Tucson, Arizona

wee.gif
Hi there, I was thinking of looking for a plastic tray to put in the bottom of the 1.5m x 1.5m run - any ideas?

Just thought it might be easier to keep clean

My Florida Beach Chickens & I vote for:

Sand

Sand

Sand

Sand

Sand

I live in wet, hot, humid FL and originally started with Hay. Well that lasted about 2 weeks before I couldn't stand it anymore. Scratch grains and treats would sift their way to the bottom, get wet, germinate, die, and MOLD. Which can be really bad for the chickens. I do still have a portion of my run (under my elevated coop) that is hay, but the most of it is sand. I absolutely love the sand. Besides, I grew up on the beach, so hanging out with my chickens is like a day at the beach (... with poo everywhere... which isn't really that different from getting poo'ed on by seagulls, lol) Also, sprinkle some DE down everywhere.

I live in south Louisiana and have thought about sand also. My only concern is that in the heat of summer the sand would get very hot. Don't have much shade in the run; has this been a problem for anybody

Back
Top Bottom