what to use to seal/paint plywood coop?

I used inexpensive 1/2" CDX plywood (grade c on one side grade d on the other, for extereior sheathing). It's the sort that is used as roofing and floor underlayment. If you didn't buy appearence grade (A/B) plywood, it's 'prolly what you have. It's also basically the same thing that inexpensive wooden shed kits at Home Dept / Lowes use, only the kit's plywood looks nicer.

A couple coats of barn paint, or any exterior latex will be all you need to make it rain proof. Keep it painted, and it will last years and years. My horse's run-in is about 25 years old, sheathed with plywood, and I've painted once in the 10 years I've owned it.

I used the same exterior latex as we have on the house. The plywood took two coats, and it looks good. For the floor I used the commercial quality glue down vinyl tiles. I figured if they use these in schools, strip malls, and fast food resturants they would hold up to chicken poop. I let the tiles off gas in the sun for a couple of weeks before the chickens went in. The tiles are cheap, about $1/sq ft.

I used plain exterior paint for my plywood coop too. The flowers I painted on the side is acrylic paint so I really need to put some kind of sealant over them.
HPIM0452.jpg

I want to thank everyone for all the great ideas....my hubby is still building our coop and our 6 chickens are waiting at the seller's farm still.
sad.png

It is so nice to read all the posts and know that we are not in this totally alone (kind of blind, but not totally alone)
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom