What type breeding bantam coachin hen should I choose to go with my rooster

Connoisseurchick

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 21, 2018
I'm not one hundred percent sure of his background
I would like to learn towards birchen mix So I would love a recommendation of what kind of hen to get for him and take a chance on good color
20240323_180858.jpg

He appears to be a mixed breed, not a pure Cochin. Cochins should not be so leggy, their feet should be more heavily feathered, and their shanks should be yellow, not white or pinkish like his. He's definitely not a pure-breeding coloration, either; to me, he looks like he's blue mottled with gold/silver split leakage.

I guess the question is, what do you consider to be a 'good' color? What color or colors are you hoping to achieve out of him? You likely aren't going to get any pure-breeding colors from him regardless of which hen you cross him to, but you could get a lot of very pretty, colorful mix chicks.

Apologies, I apparently lost track of this thread! If you want more mottled birds out of him, then getting Mottled hens would certainly do the trick! If you can find Mille Fleur hens, you should be able to get some MF-like and mottled out of that cross as well. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom