What type of chicken is this ?

It might be part Polish. That would explain the comb shape, and might explain the white egg as well. Polish chickens are supposed to lay white eggs, so a Polish-mix chicken might also lay white eggs (depending on what egg color genes it inherited from the other parent.)
My guess is a Spitzhauben x ee.

My guess is a Spitzhauben x ee.
I was guessing Polish because I think they are more common than Spitzhaubens, and because they can have both crest and beard (meaning the other parent could be almost anything.)

But I agree that Spitzhauben x ee could work too. Of course we will probably never know for sure, but it can be fun to speculate :)

I was guessing Polish because I think they are more common than Spitzhaubens, and because they can have both crest and beard (meaning the other parent could be almost anything.)

But I agree that Spitzhauben x ee could work too. Of course we will probably never know for sure, but it can be fun to speculate :)
Could it be possible that one of my other girls could randomly have a white egg?

So far they’ve been laying light brown, with the buff Orpington laying a light pinkish/brown that’s the egg on the left of the photo

Could it be possible that one of my other girls could randomly have a white egg?

So far they’ve been laying light brown, with the buff Orpington laying a light pinkish/brown that’s the egg on the left of the photo

Chickens can't change the color of the eggs they lay throughout their life. That said, sometimes the coating isn't as strong, and you'll get lighter eggs. I personally have never had a creme egg layer coat one of her eggs so badly that it comes out completely white. Hypothetically it could happen, but I doubt it

Mixed breed, but can you show us pictures without anyone holding the chicken? Height, the way they stand, feathers we can't see, etc. all matter.

No, a chicken will only lay one color throughout their entire life. The pigment can decrease if their production of bloom decreases, or they can have issues with creating eggs inside of them overall and result in weird colors. I had an Easter Egger who laid a small, very dark green egg. She apparently had a serious over production of bloom.

Mixed breed, but can you show us pictures without anyone holding the chicken? Height, the way they stand, feathers we can't see, etc. all matter.

No, a chicken will only lay one color throughout their entire life. The pigment can decrease if their production of bloom decreases, or they can have issues with creating eggs inside of them overall and result in weird colors. I had an Easter Egger who laid a small, very dark green egg. She apparently had a serious over production of bloom.

IMG_5935.jpeg

I would assume the chicken has Cream Legbar ancestry due to the slight crest. As other stated, Polish could be a large possibility in the mix because of the fact that they can have both a beard and muffs, along with their prominent crest that all individuals possess. I agree on Easter Egger/Polish hybrid or an overall mix with those two breeds in the genetics.

Despite what two previous posters said,
Yes, it IS possible to get an occasional white egg from a hen that usually lays brown or cream. It's as though her body forgets to put the brown coating on the outside.

When that happens, the shell is usually a bit thinner than normal eggs from that chicken (usually noticeable to me when I crack it for cooking.)

Sometimes a "white" egg like that will have little bits of brown somewhere (like one end), but it can be completely white.

If you only ever get one white egg, it is probably an oops from one of your cream or brown layers. If you get white eggs regularly, then you have a white egg layer.

Despite what two previous posters said,
Yes, it IS possible to get an occasional white egg from a hen that usually lays brown or cream. It's as though her body forgets to put the brown coating on the outside.

When that happens, the shell is usually a bit thinner than normal eggs from that chicken (usually noticeable to me when I crack it for cooking.)

Sometimes a "white" egg like that will have little bits of brown somewhere (like one end), but it can be completely white.

If you only ever get one white egg, it is probably an oops from one of your cream or brown layers. If you get white eggs regularly, then you have a white egg layer.
If I am one of the "two previous posters," I have to point out that I did say egg bloom malfunctions are real.

Back
Top Bottom