What type of feed to feed quail

aurorarose25

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Mesa, Az
I have the babies on chick starter and as soon as they all get their feathers I am to feed a higher protein. But I don't have game bird feed. should I feed turkey grower or turkey starter or what to substitute. I have texas A & M and want to use them for layers and to eat. Any thoughts would be great thanks..

Turkey starter would be great. Get the unmedicated kind and grind in the blender to make pieces small enough for your chicks. To become big strong breeders and meat birds they must have a good diet with high protein. Look at the protein percent and try to find 28% or 30%.

I used non medicated game bird. There is no need to put into the blender. The trick is shake and take about 1/2 off on top and what left at the bottom is much smaller. You only need to do this only the 1st week.

The higher protein for life the better. If protein is too low, you will see an increase in pecking. I do not and strongly advise against the medicated type. Gamebird starter can be fed indefinitely.

Last edited:
I would recommend a gamebird starter of 30% unmedicated. The higher the protein the better for quail. When you are breeding them, even higher protein will help them. I add alfalfa sprouts and other goodies to raise the protein content. Straight Gamebird starter is good too but the birds get more of an umpth when they get some extra protein.

Back
Top Bottom