What type of respiratory infection and how to treat?

mac853

In the Brooder
May 28, 2022
Hi,

Our ~2.5 year old blue plymouth rock has developed rales but doesn't seem to have any other symptoms yet (pic attached of her, though I don't think it shows much). I feel terrible, the rales sound horrible. She doesn't have any discharge or anything. Can someone offer advice? Anything that works other than VetRx, which seems to be just a combo of essential oils?

Screen Shot 2023-11-12 at 1.42.45 PM.png

A few questions: Can you bring her in? This mitigates the environment changes. Are any other chickens sick? Is she eating and drinking? Do you have antibiotics?
She's inside the coop right now. Currently no others are sick (except for one older hen who's been kind of slowing down the last few months). No antibiotics on hand and currently she's huddled up by herself with her eyes closed

Have you added any new birds recently? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full and puffy soft, firm, or doughy? Can you check it again first thing tomorrow before she eats or drinks? Rales or crackles can be from mucus in the airways from a respiratory infection, but also if crop contents come back up, they can sound rattly in the back of the throat. Have you seen any bubbles in her eyes, drainage from her nostrils, or sneezing?

Have you added any new birds recently? How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full and puffy soft, firm, or doughy? Can you check it again first thing tomorrow before she eats or drinks? Rales or crackles can be from mucus in the airways from a respiratory infection, but also if crop contents come back up, they can sound rattly in the back of the throat. Have you seen any bubbles in her eyes, drainage from her nostrils, or sneezing?
No new birds except early this summer added 1/3 of flock. I read that molting could cause stress and she's molting neck feathers. We live in Michigan and weather is fluctuating if that gives context.

I haven't felt her crop, I feel bad bothering her but I can look. It's puffy but she's cold/sick so it'll be puffed up near her neck anyways. I will try to check early tomorrow morning as well before she eats.

What's confusing me is no drainage, not sure what a chicken sneeze is but not that, and no bubbles. Yet? That's why I feel like it's not respiratory as she literally has one symptom, the rales.

not much of an update - I have to get a second person to help me catch her so I can feel her crop. She's as fast as a regular flighty hen, which isn't really what I anticipated. She has gasped a couple times and it sounds like there's mucus in her airway to me but I have to grab her crop to check it still

Hi,

Our ~2.5 year old blue plymouth rock has developed rales but doesn't seem to have any other symptoms yet (pic attached of her, though I don't think it shows much). I feel terrible, the rales sound horrible. She doesn't have any discharge or anything. Can someone offer advice? Anything that works other than VetRx, which seems to be just a combo of essential oils?

View attachment 3682180

I haven't felt her crop, I feel bad bothering her but I can look. It's puffy but she's cold/sick so it'll be puffed up near her neck anyways. I will try to check early tomorrow morning as well before she eats.

She has gasped a couple times and it sounds like there's mucus in her airway to me but I have to grab her crop to check it still
Can you check her crop tonight when she goes to roost, then first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink?
Checking while roosting if often much easier than chasing a hen around the yard.

When you catch her, open her mouth and look at the back of her throat for small white patches or splotches. It could be a yeast infection. You might see mucus buildup at the back of her throat as well.
Crop seems okay. Got home and she still has the rales, the loudness of them is on and off. She occasionally stretches her neck upward, to maybe get more air? I also heard her sneeze a few times but she hasn’t done it since I originally heard her. With the sneezing I’m almost positive it’s respiratory now. Thankfully she is still eating and drinking as of now.

Back
Top Bottom