What was I thinking? Duckling can't stand up:(

navychick

Songster
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Today I stopped at the tractor supply for supply's and came home with 2 baby Peking ducks. They had a small duck that was set aside because she was getting trampled and picked on. I know, I know but I couldn't leave her/him. They gave me her AND another small duck to be her friend. The little one is eating and drinking but hasn't walked that I have seen. Her little friend is adorable and doing great. I have them in a brooder with a brinsea and hopefully tomorrow little one will be stronger and on her feet. We have a small mixed flock of chickens and a secure coop and run for them. My initial questions are ...(probably many more to follow in the future).
1. How should I introduce the ducks to my flock?
2 At what age would be best?
3 Can they share a coop?
4 What modifications should I make to my coop? see my page for pics of my coop
Any and all advice accepted. Thanks

Last edited:
Awww, that was so good of you to take the baby home! :)

I introduce my ducks to other ducks, geese, and chickens as soon as they're completely feathered out, and are almost the same size as the adults. I haven't had new ducklings for the past few years, so I can't remember exactly what age that would be.
roll.png
They get picked on a little, but eventually, all will get along fine.

Ducks can share a coop with chickens, but they will make a mess out of it- especially out of the water. It helps to put a second waterer up high where the ducks can't get to it, but the chickens can.

So, only slightly off topic: I had the same issue last week: The poor little duckling was in the back corner...she couldn't walk....so I took her home. :) She's a little Welsh Harlequin. I think her main problem is her right leg- the joint is huge- not swollen, just abnormal looking. She's started standing up a little, but can't walk. She just pushes herself around like a penguin. She's doing very well otherwise. Any idea why yours is having trouble walking?

Hope the little one does okay!

Thanks for the reply. They had waaaay to many ducks in that 'water trough'. They appeared to be from two shipments as some were much larger than others. There was no empty floor space so I am assuming/hoping she was getting trampled and just got weak. She, (I'm calling it a she) is eating and drinking so I am hoping tomorrow she will show signs of improvement. Fingers crossed. I'm looking for names. Suggestions so far have been lucky and daffy, cheese and Quakers.

Today little guy seems much stronger. It eats, drinks and chirps like it's buddy but it can't fully stand and walk. It kinda scoots around. I am hoping as it grows stronger it will gain more leg strength. Should I give it vitamins? Any advice is greatly appreciated as I know I have a very narrow window here to help it.

Vitamins would be good....I was trying to think of something else that would help, but it's hard to say without knowing if it's a bone issue, or a muscle thing.

Hopefully your little one will start walking soon- mine actually got up and took a step for the first time last night! Maybe it just takes some ducklings longer to get the hang of it?

Went through almost exactly the same thing a short while ago with a Khaki Campbell, and things worked out well for me. If you do a search on LAME DUCK OLD GUY you'll find my experiences.

I gave mine a strong dose of Vitamin B Complex dissolved in her water. Other than that I just confined her and let her get lots of rest.

Welcome to The Charlie Brown Congregation!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom