What was your worst mistake as a chicken keeper?

Pics
1. What did you do?

Built a half-high run on the original version of the Little Monitor Coop. We were trying to save the cost of another roll of hardware cloth.

2. What were the consequences?

Cleaning was a nightmare and collecting run eggs or anything else that needed access under the coop required sending a child in with a hoe.

3. Did you fix it? How?

It could not be fixed under those circumstances. We just had to live with it.

4. What did you learn?

Nothing, apparently. 🤣 I accepted the gift of another half-high structure this spring, turned it into a brooder and had this happen last month.

More seriously, build your coop and run considering your ability to access every nook and cranny. Hardware cloth is cheaper than chiropractors (not to mention the ER).
You are soooooo right!

1. What did you do?

Built a half-high run on the original version of the Little Monitor Coop. We were trying to save the cost of another roll of hardware cloth.

Cleaning was a nightmare and collecting run eggs or anything else that needed access under the coop required sending a child in with a hoe.

3. Did you fix it? How?

It could not be fixed under those circumstances. We just had to live with it.

4. What did you learn?

Nothing, apparently. 🤣 I accepted the gift of another half-high structure this spring, turned it into a brooder and had this happen last month.

More seriously, build your coop and run considering your ability to access every nook and cranny. Hardware cloth is cheaper than chiropractors (not to mention the ER).
THIS IS TOTALLY CORRECT! AS I GET OLDER GETTING ON MY KNEES TO CLEAN THE UNDER THE COOP RUN HAS BECOME A HUGE CHORE.

Has ANYONE had a good experience getting chicks from TSC? I got a handful there last month, & so far, so good. One did have a terrible bout of pasty butt & weakness which I nursed her through but all are thriving now. At about 4 weeks I don’t see any red combs either. Maybe I just got lucky?
We started with 4 pullets from a friend and one died in my bathroom while I was preparing their coop. I accidentally left the toilet seat up and she drowned. So we went to TSC and the required me to buy a minimum of 4. Well one of them got taken by an owl, so we’re down to 6 altogether. They are about 11 weeks old so far doing great!

We started with 4 pullets from a friend and one died in my bathroom while I was preparing their coop. I accidentally left the toilet seat up and she drowned. So we went to TSC and the required me to buy a minimum of 4. Well one of them got taken by an owl, so we’re down to 6 altogether. They are about 11 weeks old so far doing great!
And here is a perfect example of how chicken math begins. 🤗
Very sorry about your little chicks.

1., Biggest Mistake?
Hmm,I made lots of them in the last month but the biggest of all.
I let myself talk in to getting Hatching Egg even as I was doubtful that I am ready jet to get started with Chickens.
2., consequences of that?
lots of nonpermanent solutions that I not have builded that way If I would have more Time.
3., What did I learn?
I learned...
...never tell the Plan before having it ready to go.(figure of speech)
...don't agree with a Coop Plan that you are not sure a.its big enough b. easy to clean.
...whatever help you get offered it's your job to deal with problems and the work.

Has ANYONE had a good experience getting chicks from TSC? I got a handful there last month, & so far, so good. One did have a terrible bout of pasty butt & weakness which I nursed her through but all are thriving now. At about 4 weeks I don’t see any red combs either. Maybe I just got lucky?
I honestly think TS chicks is a mixture of bad genetics and improper care.

View attachment 2809406

We learn from our mistakes, right? Even pros and experts make mistakes.
I was wondering what your biggest mistakes were as chicken keepers.
Maybe newbies could find this thread and learn from it.
  1. What did you do?
  3. Did you fix it? How?
  4. What did you learn?

Please remember, we all make mistakes. Please do not belittle or bully ANYONE for their mistakes.
Made the mistake of not taking predators seriously enough and lost my two Silkie Roosters to a Fox :(
  1. What did you do?
    1. I didn't lock the Roos away when I went to the house for Supper.
    1. Fox killed the poor wee little lads.
  3. Did you fix it? How?
    1. Now everyone one is only allowed outside while I am around, and I purchases some electric net fencing. I haven't had to electrify it yet, as I don't let them out of my sight - they are only allowed outside now when I am working in the Barn.
  4. What did you learn?
    1. Predation around here is a serious thing, you might not see the predators but they sure can likely see your chickens!

What did you do?
I can think of 2 serious mistakes I’ve made
1. Keeping my bantam silkie with my standard size hens
2. Not locking my coop properly

What were the consequences?
1. My silkie was attacked and killed by my other hens
2. Someone broke into my coop and stole 2 birds

Did you fix it? How?
1. I haven’t kept standard birds with bantams sense
2. I keep combination locks on my coop now but I never found out who did it

Back
Top Bottom