Songster
Dec 16, 2022
Central Florida, East Coast
My flock consists of all hens:
1 Barred Rock
1 Buff Orpington
1 Light Brahma
5 Easter Eggers

If I added a Rhode Island Red Rooster in to my flock... I'd like to see some pics of what you ended up with breeding any of the mixes? What color eggs would I possible expect?

Last edited:
My flock consists of all hens:
1 Barred Rock
1 Buff Orpington
1 Light Brahma
5 Easter Eggers

I'd like to see some pics of what you ended up with breeding any of the mixes? What color eggs would I possible expect?
It depends on what sort of rooster you have, if any.
Egg-color wise, you should get a mix of green and brown eggs when breeding any rooster to any of the listed hens. Exact shade will vary with each breed/mix but all of these are mid-shaded layers; not that dark but not incredibly light colored. Your Easter eggers could throw any sort of surprise, egg color will vary by hen and can be just about any shade, from light blue to a medium green, to pink. Their offspring could produce a few different shades depending on mother.
Do you have a rooster you intend to breed to your hens? What breed is he?

It depends on what sort of rooster you have, if any.
Egg-color wise, you should get a mix of green and brown eggs when breeding any rooster to any of the listed hens. Exact shade will vary with each breed/mix but all of these are mid-shaded layers; not that dark but not incredibly light colored. Your Easter eggers could throw any sort of surprise, egg color will vary by hen and can be just about any shade, from light blue to a medium green, to pink. Their offspring could produce a few different shades depending on mother.
Do you have a rooster you intend to breed to your hens? What breed is he?
whoops! I meant to put in there If I picked up a Rhode Island Red Rooster! will upate!

whoops! I meant to put in there If I picked up a Rhode Island Red Rooster! will upate!
RIR x Barred rock would produce:
black barred sons(black with white head dot at hatch)
black daughters(black at hatch)
They will likely have gold/red leakage, but should be mostly black.
RIR x buff orpington:
You should get chicks that are buff as well.

RIR x light brahma:
You should get gold sons and red daughters, in the same solid-body columbia patterning. They may have feathered feet, but I am unsure if they will, I do not know whether the feathered feet on brahmas are recessive or dominant

It's a bit impossible to accurately determine what he and the easter eggers will produce. Easter eggers can have any number of genes and look very different. You may get chicks that look similar to him though, but may have beards(fluffy cheeks) or modified peacombs depending on what their mothers have.

If you don't mind me suggesting, you can use this when trying to figure out what certain breedings produce.
http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html

RIR x Barred rock would produce:
black barred sons(black with white head dot at hatch)
black daughters(black at hatch)
They will likely have gold/red leakage, but should be mostly black.
RIR x buff orpington:
You should get chicks that are buff as well.

RIR x light brahma:
You should get gold sons and red daughters, in the same solid-body columbia patterning. They may have feathered feet, but I am unsure if they will, I do not know whether the feathered feet on brahmas are recessive or dominant

It's a bit impossible to accurately determine what he and the easter eggers will produce. Easter eggers can have any number of genes and look very different. You may get chicks that look similar to him though, but may have beards(fluffy cheeks) or modified peacombs depending on what their mothers have.

If you don't mind me suggesting, you can use this when trying to figure out what certain breedings produce.
http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html
Thank you so much for all that info! I will definitely check out that website!

So, not a RIR after all. This is the handsome guy I picked up! All she told me was the dad is the white Silkie that free ranges there. I believe he's a light brahma cross.

Attachments

• 20230222_181235.jpg
    20230222_181235.jpg
    632.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230222_181224.jpg
    20230222_181224.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 10
So, not a RIR after all. This is the handsome guy I picked up! All she told me was the dad is the white Silkie that free ranges there. I believe he's a light brahma cross.
He looks silver columbian of a sort, the golden hackles and saddle feathers are either because he could be S/s+ or from sun damage. I’m leaning towards sun damage because white feathers are very prone to tinting. If his father is a silkie, he may carry the fibro gene(black skin). I can’t say I know for certain whether you’d get any fibro chicks with the hens you’re breeding him to, but it could very well happen. I also imagine you’ll be getting a few more feathered foot chicks..

He looks silver columbian of a sort, the golden hackles and saddle feathers are either because he could be S/s+ or from sun damage. I’m leaning towards sun damage because white feathers are very prone to tinting. If his father is a silkie, he may carry the fibro gene(black skin). I can’t say I know for certain whether you’d get any fibro chicks with the hens you’re breeding him to, but it could very well happen. I also imagine you’ll be getting a few more feathered foot chicks..
He's only 5/6 months old, would they be sun damaged already?

He's only 5/6 months old, would they be sun damaged already?
Honestly, I don’t know. Thats why I said he may be S/s+ or sun damaged. Similarly, I had two cockerels I believed to be S/S who were getting tinted hackles and saddle feathers as they aged, at about 3 months old. It can be from a number of causes, and sometimes it‘s tricky to tell what gene on the silver locus a bird has, autosomal red makes it ever so more impossible.

Back
Top Bottom