What will their baby’s look like?

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
So I caught my ducks mating for the second time, and I’m curious. What will my pekin cross x mallard kc Campbell cross look like?

And what would I need to do? Should I let her brood? Or should I hopefully find someone to loan me a incubator

Attachments

• IMG_4296.jpeg
    IMG_4296.jpeg
    774.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4298.jpeg
    IMG_4298.jpeg
    794.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4208.jpeg
    IMG_4208.jpeg
    548.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 8
i don’t know but it will be fun to find out! are you somewhere south of the equator ? i’m in the usa and we are about to enter winter weather here
ps your ducks are pretty!

i don’t know but it will be fun to find out! are you somewhere south of the equator ? i’m in the usa and we are about to enter winter weather here
I’m in the north sadly, California. I’m not sure if they will be pregnant because I was told hen ducks choose if they want to be pregnant after mating. But she seemed content after, so maybe I’ll get lucky!

The gene which makes your Pekin white is a recessive allele which causes no pigment to be added to the feathers. But, they can be carrying all kinds of other colors which you just can’t see. Most of the time, Pekin crosses look similar to black Swedish, black with a white bib. That is what I would expect with a Pekin x Khaki cross. But, there could be surprises. What you shouldn’t get is all white or Khaki brown, as these are recessive so both parents would need to have them.

Personally, I would eat the eggs until spring. Then, I would buy an incubator since Khakis don’t usually go broody.

The gene which makes your Pekin white is a recessive allele which causes no pigment to be added to the feathers. But, they can be carrying all kinds of other colors which you just can’t see. Most of the time, Pekin crosses look similar to black Swedish, black with a white bib. That is what I would expect with a Pekin x Khaki cross. But, there could be surprises. What you shouldn’t get is all white or Khaki brown, as these are recessive so both parents would need to have them.

Personally, I would eat the eggs until spring. Then, I would buy an incubator since Khakis don’t usually go broody.
I don’t know if I could bring myself to eat one, knowing it’s possibly a baby duck. But thank you! I’m excited for any babies I could possibly get especially their colors

Stick a flashlight to it. Duck eggs are easy to see through. Also, if they haven’t been sat on or incubated then it’s not an issue. Lastly, it’s true they can reject sperm, but if they’ve been mating then you should be seeing nearly all of them fertilized. Fertilized is really no different than eating an unfertilized egg. It’s not a developing baby, but an egg that could be if incubated. With 6 times the nutrients than chicken eggs I say go them, and if not maybe sell them.

Back
Top Bottom