What will you do when they are too old to lay?

I have 2 flocks My silkies are pets they will live out thier lives here. The large breed (my laying hens and a roo) will go to freezer camp when they stop laying except for chicky. She was on the farm when we got here alone and not cared for I found her a week after we moved in sitting on a nest of 16 eggs. She will be cared for and live out her life on the farm. She is the reason we got chickens!!!

I like my flock, they are great layers but not one of them will let us pat them, when we get too close they scatter, so it's hard to get overly attached to any of them so when the egg production starts to go down I will probably try to send them to freezer camp, but who knows, I probably won't have it in me to do the deed so they may end up being given away to a good home. I agree with most on here that if they become pets they will die of old age...
smile.png

I will continue to love, feed, and care for my girls... just like I love, feed, and care for our roosters and other pets.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and Happy Thanksgiving!

I have done freezer camp on one bird. I didn't think it would be a issue untill I did it. Wow, much harder than I thought it would be on me. I now sell or rehome those not needed. I know they are lunch for some and that is not a issue for me. I have not got to the stage that mine are older and not laying so who knows.....

I make jokes all the time about eating them if they don't lay, but when it came down to it, I don't think I could eat any of these girls. They are my original flock, though, and as others have posted, they all have names, and we are attached. When Felipa Leghorn got eggbound and died, we truly grieved and still miss her. As otherse have mentioned, though, I do believe that as time goes on and we move to the country and get a larger flock, those birds may eventually end up on the table when their laying days are over, but not these 6 girls. They're our babies. It would be like trying to eat my dog... edible yes, palatable no.

When we get into the country, we definitely want to raise some meat birds next spring/summer. I think not naming them and not playing with them makes it easier to process them, but what do I know? I'm still new at this. LOL.

Last edited:
Have little birthday parties with VERY special treats for 'em. They will still eat bugs, provide great fertilizer, and make me smile at their antics. Eggs have always been the presents they give ME!

My girls will live out their lives in comfort with me. I could not do anything else. They have brought me too much joy and contentment in the 5 months since I started raising my hens. I have 14 now and they are part of the family. I will add a few here and there once spring gets here. I've found my niche and am truly blessed. I've found that sharing stories and pix of my girls and their eggs with my coworkers and family gives me great satisfaction and sitting out in the back yard with them allows me to spend time with our Creator and enjoy the outdoors.

Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving and Christmas Season!

Back
Top Bottom