What would a brabanter mix look like?

WiddleChix

Songster
7 Years
Jul 15, 2016
California
I have a gold brabanter cockerel and I'm wondering what the offspring would look like.

The pullets I have are:
1 buff Orpington
2 buff Cochins
1 partridge rock
1 EE
1 Dominique

Does anyone have any mixes like this or know where I could find any pictures? I just want to know what they could look like and if any of the chicks would have the crest or beard like he has. Im not interested in showing them they're my pets and I was just curious
1f602.png

No photos here, but I'll describe the outcomes for you:

Brabanter X BO: You'll get 100% reddish buff offspring, with some patterned black leakage, mostly in the breast in all likely hood.

Brabanter X Buff Cochin: Same as above, but with mildly feathered feet.

Brabanter X Partridge Rock: Dark, reddish buff or gold, with varying amounts of black or dark red/brown patterning. Not sure exactly how the two forms of patterning genes will interact - could lean more toward mama's side, with a kind of faint double laced patten, or more toward daddy's, with faint/partial spangling.

Brabanter X EE: Unpredictable, especially without a description of the EE. If she's a blue/green layer, between 50-100% of the offspring will carry the blue egg gene and so produce green eggs (in the case of pullets, of course).

Brabanter X Dominique: This is actually a sex linked cross. Female offspring will be black with some red leakage; at hatch that will appear black; potentially with small amounts of brown. Male offspring will be single barred with red leakage, and at hatch they will be black with a white dot on their head.

100% of offspring from all crosses will show a small beard and muffs. If she's bearded, offspring from the EE may show a small or full beard and muffs. Combs will vary but most will be modified single; offspring from the Dominique will likely show a modified rose. EE offspring may be modified pea (possibly modified single). As for the crest, well, crest is generally a dominant gene. Brabanter's crests are odd given their size and shape, but I believe generally caused by the same gene as other crests with different modifiers. Generally speaking you'd see 100% crested offspring, but given the generally small size of the crest, I'd expect a mixture of crested and non-crested offspring.

Thank you so much!! I plan on hatching atleast a couple given my run size and I was just really interested what they would look like! My EE is black with some buff around her shoulders and chest

She hasn't layed any eggs yet so I'm not sure the color but she definitely has a small pea comb. I figured it's unlikely to know what offspring from her would look like because she's mixed as it is. This photo is from a couple months ago so she has some more buff in the areas shown.
Edited to add: she does not have a beard or muffs.

Last edited:
Hi there! Just curious how they turned out?

I have some eggs in the incubator fertilized by a cream brabanter rooster. One of the hens is a blue splash marans, and the other is a white frizzled cochin. Very excited to meet the babies!

I have some eggs in the incubator fertilized by a cream brabanter rooster. One of the hens is a blue splash marans, and the other is a white frizzled cochin. Very excited to meet the babies!

The original poster has not logged on since July of 2018.

Maybe start a thread about your hatching experience and help others wondering the same thing. ;)

Can I ask for pics of how yours turned out? I have a gold Brabanter roo and white frizzle cochin hen I’d like to breed.

How did they turn out? I have a good Brabanter who is like to breed with white frizzle cochin.

Back
Top Bottom