What would be the easiest coop to build?

Soon2BChixMom

Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens
Jan 8, 2017
In your experience, if you don't use an existing building or a prefab, what is the easiest coop design to build. Easy as in novice experience with tools.
Any input welcome!

try to aim for a larger version of a dog house, simple frame, plywood walls, slanted/angled roof
So, would an angled roof (where two sides meet in the middle) be easier than a slanted (one-sidded) roof? Also, is it best to have it up off the ground?
Thanks!

I did a rectangle 4 by 8 by 4 then put two of those together as the needs arise, soon with the new babies I will add a third one...

I used 2 by 4s in the corners, and a support one in the middle I only used 4 plywood pieces to make it cutting one in half for the sides at 12 dollars a piece it's really economical

You can get shingles for the roof in the clearance pile for cheap at diy stores

You can see how it looks in the link in my signature I have vids on there, best ones is when I show Dina laying a egg video, and maybe the 360 enclosure if you are curious about how it looks
Basic but cheap

So, would an angled roof (where two sides meet in the middle) be easier than a slanted (one-sidded) roof? Also, is it best to have it up off the ground?
Thanks!
oldcoop.JPG
I built this one, which is a copy of a pre-fab I'd bought earlier 'cause I needed one quicker than I could build one. Frame is 2x2's. Walls & floor made of light plywood. Wouldn't survive a bear attack, even a bear that wasn't hungry, but, then, there's no need to; we don't have bears close by.
I put it up on the stand so I wouldn't have to bend over. Being elevated as it is, I don't worry about anything breaking in; with the ramp removed, as it is every night, there's nothing for anything such as a 'coon, rat, skunk or 'possum to stand on while it works on the door.. This particular coop has been in use for two years, the original about four; no critter problems yet.

A slanted roof is easier to construct than one that peaks in the middle. It also works well for chickens... your vent is at the highest side, your roost is in the high side of the coop, but below the vent, then your nest boxes can go in the low side or be mounted externally. If it is off the ground, you can gather eggs and clean it without being down on your hands and knees, also my chickens love hanging out in the shade under the coop.

View attachment 1256371
I built this one, which is a copy of a pre-fab I'd bought earlier 'cause I needed one quicker than I could build one. Frame is 2x2's. Walls & floor made of light plywood. Wouldn't survive a bear attack, even a bear that wasn't hungry, but, then, there's no need to; we don't have bears close by.
I put it up on the stand so I wouldn't have to bend over. Being elevated as it is, I don't worry about anything breaking in; with the ramp removed, as it is every night, there's nothing for anything such as a 'coon, rat, skunk or 'possum to stand on while it works on the door.. This particular coop has been in use for two years, the original about four; no critter problems yet.

That might be above my skill level with a roof like that. ;)

I did a rectangle 4 by 8 by 4 then put two of those together as the needs arise, soon with the new babies I will add a third one...

I used 2 by 4s in the corners, and a support one in the middle I only used 4 plywood pieces to make it cutting one in half for the sides at 12 dollars a piece it's really economical

You can get shingles for the roof in the clearance pile for cheap at diy stores

You can see how it looks in the link in my signature I have vids on there, best ones is when I show Dina laying a egg video, and maybe the 360 enclosure if you are curious about how it looks
Basic but cheap
I will take a look!

A hoop coop using cattle panel(s) looks like the simplest way to get a coop up and going. Most of the examples you find on the web are overly complicated for such a simple structure. After searching for a while I finally found a sane example of a simple cattle panel (hoop) coop.

JT

Yes, I have thought of that, but you still need to build something inside it For night protection?

Thanks for the thread, I will check it out.

A slanted roof is easier to construct than one that peaks in the middle. It also works well for chickens... your vent is at the highest side, your roost is in the high side of the coop, but below the vent, then your nest boxes can go in the low side or be mounted externally. If it is off the ground, you can gather eggs and clean it without being down on your hands and knees, also my chickens love hanging out in the shade under the coop.
Thanks for the input! I am hoping to figure this out, or go back to my original plan and convert a shed.

Back
Top Bottom