What would these crosses look like?

Chickengirl2671

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Nov 2, 2021
Georgia
What would a Buff orpington rooster crossed with a black Australorp hen look like? And what would the same rooster crossed with a Buff Brahma look like? Is the Colombian markings on the Brahma dominant or recessive?

Buff Orpington-Black Australorp crosses tend to be black with extremely heavy buff color leakage, often looking more like buff with black undertones. If your Australorp happens to be carrying silver instead of gold, then the males resulting from such a cross would end up being more yellowish instead of buffish.

Buff Orpington crossed to Buff Brahma most likely would make birds that are mostly buff, possibly with just a tiny bit of the neck, tail, and wing Columbian patterning leaking through. Buff Orpingtons are effectively wheaten-based red Columbian with other genes suppressing the Columbian patterning and diluting the red color to buff, so it's less that the Columbian markings are recessive (Columbian restriction is a dominant trait) and more so that those genes suppressing it are even more dominant.

Buff Orpington-Black Australorp crosses tend to be black with extremely heavy buff color leakage, often looking more like buff with black undertones. If your Australorp happens to be carrying silver instead of gold, then the males resulting from such a cross would end up being more yellowish instead of buffish.
Thank you! Is there a way to know if the Australorps are carrying silver or gold? I read somewhere that Buff Orpington roo over Black Australorp hen was sexlinked, is that true?
Buff Orpington crossed to Buff Brahma most likely would make birds that are mostly buff, possibly with just a tiny bit of the neck, tail, and wing Columbian patterning leaking through. Buff Orpingtons are effectively wheaten-based red Columbian with other genes suppressing the Columbian patterning and diluting the red color to buff, so it's less that the Columbian markings are recessive (Columbian restriction is a dominant trait) and more so that those genes suppressing it are even more dominant.
I never knew that about the Orpingtons! Would it have clean or feathered legs?

Thank you! Is there a way to know if the Australorps are carrying silver or gold? I read somewhere that Buff Orpington roo over Black Australorp hen was sexlinked, is that true?

If the Australorps are carrying silver, then maybe. The birds themselves would eventually express sexlinked colorations, the females being buffish and the males being yellowish. The only question mark is how visible that would be at hatch.

Editing because I realized I didn't answer your first question here! There isn't really a way to tell if the Australorps carry gold or silver without crossing them to find out. My understanding is that most do carry silver, though.

I never knew that about the Orpingtons! Would it have clean or feathered legs?

Feathered legs, but probably not as heavily feathered as the Brahma's legs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom