What would you do if you were me?

Backyard Hencam

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 27, 2009
California Central Coast
I recently bought 10 young chickens (about 4 months old). I had found a home for my two older hens so I was free to start over. Out of the ten, one is a beautiful Delaware rooster, there is 1 Delaware hen, 2 Dark Brahmas, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 Salmon Favorelles.

Now, here's the delema: I cannot have a rooster, and I should only keep 5 hens. That means I should sell, 4 hens and the rooster. What do you all think I should keep? I am interest in egg production but I like having gentle, tame pets for the grandkids to enjoy.

All these breed were chosen for the quiet disposition and THEY ARE! They were raised around children and pets. I like them all, so sweet and tame. Should I bundle the Rooster with four hens or try to sell them individually? Which should I keep.

I'm loosing sleep over this!
Please advise :confused::confused::confused::confused:

There is no wrong answer. There is no right answer. There are just different ways to do it.

My personal preference would be to keep one of each. But that's my personal preference. What is yours? That's what counts. If you really can't decide, flip a coin. Whatever answer that gives you will be as good as any other.

If it were me I'd bundle them all together. That's just so I only have to deal with one person when they get them. That would probably be less frustrating for me.

I agree, and if you like friendly pet like birds, it is fun to easily know which bird is which bird. I would sell them as point of lay, and give a small discount for taking all of the hens with the rooster.

And then do something called a gate cut in livestock, which means don't agonize, just pick the first one of each breed that comes to hand. Catch them up at night after they have gone to roost, and don't look back, you will enjoy the ones you have left.

Mrs K

Ohhhhhhhh. I just haven't been able to do that! Guess I wouldn't make a "real" poultry farmer!:cool:
I agree, and if you like friendly pet like birds, it is fun to easily know which bird is which bird. I would sell them as point of lay, and give a small discount for taking all of the hens with the rooster.

And then do something called a gate cut in livestock, which means don't agonize, just pick the first one of each breed that comes to hand. Catch them up at night after they have gone to roost, and don't look back, you will enjoy the ones you have left.

Mrs K

I have such good news to share. I posted on Craigslist that I had a rooster and three pullets that needed to stay together as they were raised as pets. They are a remarkable flock of calm breeds and very tame. A few people offered me a good price for the pullets but said they couldn't take the rooster.

A college professor who lives on 2 acres about 30 miles away, called and said his rooster had died recently of old age and his 4 hens were 5 years old and would love to take my rooster and three pullets! Perfect!!! A win/win situation.

Then I did what Mrs. K said to do "And then do something called a gate cut in livestock, which means don't agonize, just pick the first one of each breed that comes to hand. Catch them up at night after they have gone to roost, and don't look back, you will enjoy the ones you have left." (only I did it in the daylight).

I now have a lovely flock of 6 young ladies who will provide me with beautiful eggs and garden entertainment for many years.

Thanks for all your great advice.

A college professor who lives on 2 acres about 30 miles away, called and said his rooster had died recently of old age and his 4 hens were 5 years old and would love to take my rooster and three pullets! Perfect!!! A win/win situation.
I am so glad you found something that worked for you! It is great that someone was willing to take the rooster, too. :)

Back
Top Bottom