What would you do in this situation?

onedoodle3

Songster
10 Years
Jan 18, 2010
Somewhere in Tornado Alley......
I work in a factory. The rule for reporting off work is you MUST call in 2 hours ahead of your shift to report you will not be there. I have been written up 2 times in the past year for calling in less than 2 hours due to legit medical reasons. Not to go into detail, but I have been having some medical problems since the first of the year that require I report off work several days a week. I have not worked a full week since the middle of January when all this started. ANYWAY:

Tonight, getting my shower for work, I got bit by a spider on the top of my foot. I wear glasses so I could not tell what kind of spider and, well, I also squished the mess out of it!!
sickbyc.gif
The top of my foot is now swollen, red, and itching like crazy. I put alcohol on it to hopefully take care of any venom. I must wear steel toed boots and, while I got my boot on, my foot feels like it is wedged in my boot.

So my question is: Would you chance getting fired from the best paying job (not to mention great insurance) you have ever had by reporting off less than 2 hours before the shift, or would you go on into work and hope it got better? I really don't want to miss another night or get written up again or fired. I am just wondering what others would do.
idunno.gif

Personally, I would go to work, if the bite gets worse or you have other symptoms or can not wear your boot, let them send you home ill.

if your bite is getting swollen you should go to the doctor. come on, carols clucks has to be kidding or drunk. that is terrible advice. a limb is more important than any job and you show every sign for infection. get some help.

if your bite is getting swollen you should go to the doctor. come on, carols clucks has to be kidding or drunk. that is terrible advice. a limb is more important than any job and you show every sign for infection. get some help.

I'd go to work too in that situation. Calling in sick for a bug bite doesn't look good. If it gets worse doodle can show the boss.

A two hour call in, as you now know, isn't always possible. It would be easy to list all manner of things that might happen during that time that would prevent you from going to work. The rule must be more detailed than that and allow for emergencies.

You work in industry so, I assume, you have some first aid facilities and trained personnel on hand at the factory. Would it be appropriate to go to work, report straight to first aid and take it from their?

I would go to work,and then leave if needed.My dh has had 2 bug bites.One time he went to the ER and they cut a chunk of flesh out.Other time he just kept cleaning and putting anti-bac cream on the sore till it healed. If it gets worse get it treated! Do your best to keep that good paying job.There are sooooo many people lined up hoping to get it.Speedy healings.

I'd go to work and keep a close eye on it. As others have said, it gets worse have it checked out. I've had two friends this year get bit by a brown recluse, one watched it closely and the other didn't. One ended up with a small piece of flesh removed, the other lost his foot. Watch it closely. I'll be praying for a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom