What would you do with this run and coop? - help with slanted roof please

LilyBird

In the Brooder
May 20, 2015
Ontario Canada
Here is a picture of my coop and run (of sorts) at the moment. The run will be 12' wide, 16' long and I'm hoping 6'-8' high (6' at the back and about 8' at the front). The tallest part of the coop roof is 6' as it stands right now.

I am planning on building the run roof as a slanted roof with metal corrugated panels. I have all the materials. I just need a plan.

Do I try to put the roof of the run over the coop and everything? Or attach it to it somehow? The coop is shingled. And I have more than enough metal roof panels.

I think I understand how to go about installing the metal roof....but if anyone has any super easy, time saving tips I would greatly appreciate it!

Here is a picture of my coop and run (of sorts) at the moment. The run will be 12' wide, 16' long and I'm hoping 6'-8' high (6' at the back and about 8' at the front). The tallest part of the coop roof is 6' as it stands right now.

I am planning on building the run roof as a slanted roof with metal corrugated panels. I have all the materials. I just need a plan.

Do I try to put the roof of the run over the coop and everything? Or attach it to it somehow? The coop is shingled. And I have more than enough metal roof panels.

I think I understand how to go about installing the metal roof....but if anyone has any super easy, time saving tips I would greatly appreciate it!

if it was me, I'd build the run roof to just cover the coop. All one big roof, no worries about leaks where you tried to attach it that way. I would have framed the whole thing up at once and made it one roof if you have the metal already to cover the coop as well, but if it was already there........

as for installing the roof, my best tip would be to google how to install metal roofing, and watch videos from 3 or 4 different installers

.Are you metal panels long enough to cover from one end to the other without overlapping? much easier if they are, if not, just remember to put the pieces that are lowest on the roof on first and overlap the higher ones at least 4 inches to prevent leaks

Thanks PapaChaz!

We started with what was already a dog house and modified it. So there already was a roof. We weren't originally planning on doing a roof on the run, but we got thinking that it would be nice to not have to shovel snow and have them able to get outside in the winter.

Our panels are 12' so they will be a bit short. But we got extras thrown in for free so we will probably just overlap them. Thanks for the tip on that. :)

I put up some temporary boards to get a visual. I'm not convinced my slope is going to be enough for snow load. What do you think?

PapaChaz has given you good advice...and I was going to mention the snow load....and I applaud your mocking up the slope.

I would slant the roof the other way so you can use a snow rake to remove the snow load from the roof....
as it doesn't look like you can access the run roof from the backside, or it would be harder in the winter
....unless you plan on building a monster frameworks to support all you might get up there.

I learned this lesson the hard way a couple winters ago, losing one shed roof and almost another.
It was that last wet snow that did it in.

PapaChaz has given you good advice...and I was going to mention the snow load....and I applaud your mocking up the slope.

I would slant the roof the other way so you can use a snow rake to remove the snow load from the roof....
as it doesn't look like you can access the run roof from the backside, or it would be harder in the winter
....unless you plan on building a monster frameworks to support all you might get up there.

I learned this lesson the hard way a couple winters ago, losing one shed roof and almost another.
It was that last wet snow that did it in.
Right beside the coop is actually a gate and a bridge that goes over the creek that is right behind the fence. So we'll be able to pull the snow off right into the creek. :) I actually think the set up is going to work perfectly come spring time when everything melts...it will have a place to melt away and HOPEFULLY the run won't be a mud pit. lol

Yes, we will probably snow blow a path back to the coop to check on the girls anyways, and the nest boxes are literally right beside the gate. So all we would have to do is go a little further with the snow blower :)

Gate swings out and the creek is pretty close to the fence. But it dries up mid summer so by the winter its just a ditch that we can walk in.

I managed to figure out that my slope is only 2/12. So I dropped the back side down to 5' just above the chain link fence. It's now about 3/12 and it will have to do! Lol

Back
Top Bottom