What would you do?

momof3babygirls

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 11, 2010
Zirconia
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum. I've been hanging back and soaking up knowledge from alot of you, and getting some wonderfull advice. I 've been raising chickens for about 3 yrs now. We have always purchased our chicks, & chickens locally. Last year we got brave and ordered some thru Ideal during the summer and early fall. Every order came by the next day. Never once did I have a DOA. Well this year we dicided to order early. We placed an order for 2/3/10 shipment. Like alot of people on here our order was delayed b/c of weather. We had 24 out of 70 DOA, and lost 13 the first 5 days. When I called, the nice lady on the phone told me that they were considering calling me to have my order delayed b/c of the weather, but they didn't for some reason. I told her I would have prefered the order delayed than take a chance that my chicks die in the shipping. Well they were very understanding and sent us a replacement order of 24 on 2/17. I just got that shippment TODAY 2/20. I had 12 of the 24 DOA and 7 more that died with in just hours of getting home.

I had also ordered 150 chicks from Mt. Healthy Hatchery for their 2/17 hatch date. I got them on Thursday 2/18. They were the livelist bunch of chicks I've ever seen. I mean they are litterly running, and jumping around my brooder. When the Ideal shippment came in the post master even commented on how lathargic they were compared the ones from Mt. Healthy.

The more I think about it, the more I have noticed that our shippments in the past did seem more lathargic from Ideal. My question is, has anyone else noticed this? Is it a breed thing, or a hatcher thing? Could it be the distance they travel? I live in WNC they come from TX. The ones from Mt. Healthy come from OH. Should I ask them to replace the ones I lost in shipping again for a summer delivery,or would you just ask them to refund your money?

Alot has to do with the distance from the hatchery the chicks have to travel. Another factor is the higher the number of chicks sent the better their chances are. The greater number generate more heat and so travel better.

my Ideal chicks are fine now. But when they first arrive 6 were dead because they sat in a truck for a couple of days because of a delay. Its been four days, and these are waayyy lively. they can almost be compared to the way mama hens' chicks act.

My order from Ideal of 250 chicks arrived on Wednesday, in all, I only lost 4. I got more extras than I lost. My order of 30 BLRW from MmcM arrived on Tuesday, I lost 14 in total, almost half. You just never know what the chicks expierence durring shipping. I don't think you can blame the bird quality or the hatchery.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
yep. sometimes stuff just happens.

I think if they replace them, I'll have them deliver in the early spring. They seem to get here the next day and I have fewer if any DOA.
I think I also read on here that Ideal said that their DOA goes up in the winter time also. And that it is normal to lose chicks then. I think from now on I'll do like last year and try and wait till spring. It's hard but I hate the thought of my little ones dying on the way b/c I couldn't wait a few more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom