What would you do?

Scottiemom

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Nine Mile Falls, WA
So, I was heading into town at about 11:00 am, to pick up some feed, bedding, etc...The road I was on is a 25 mph "scenic route" but it is paved and used quite frequently by locals and hikers. (By frequent, I mean there is always someone on, if only a car or two.) Anyways, there are always lots of squirrels, chipmunks, raccoon, quail, deer, turkeys, and the occasional moose wandering around the area (it runs along side a small river) so I am extra careful to watch for critters crossing the road. Well, as I come around a small corner, there is something small and fuzzy flopping down the opposite lane. There was a car ahead of me and a car and motorcycle behind me and nowhere to pull off or turn around for a couple 100 feet. I was kinda surprised by it because, usually, when you see a fuzzy in the road, it's either moving with a purpose or it didn't move fast enough and got hit. But this was different.
So, when I was able to turn around, I headed back to where it was. Amazingly, there hadn't been a car traveling in the other lane. I spotted it, stopped, turned on my hazard lights and headed over to it. It was a tiny turkey poult, about the size of a fluffy golf ball! It was trying like crazy to get somewhere, but it wasn't very stable on it's legs. I can't imagine it was more than a day or so old (I am new to chickens this year and know almost nothing about turkeys) as it still had it's egg tooth. I looked around for a hen, but hadn't seen any at all today. I scooped him up and made it back to my car just as a car came up behind me.
At home, I have two brooders set up, simply because I had chicks started, and then got some more about 5 weeks after. What can I say? They are a little addicting!
big_smile.png
In fact, one set of chicks are out in their coup, another set are about to be introduced to the coup, and the last batch are about 3 weeks old. I have a divider of hardware cloth in my larger brooder to help with "introductions", so I have room...Although I never planned on having turkeys, we have plenty of room.
Now, I am not one of those people that come across a fawn and want to "rescue it"! I am okay with "letting nature take it's course" as long as the critter has a fighting chance, but I don't think being squished by a car is very natural. So, after all that, What would you do? I would love all the input I can get!

You could raise him and keep him.You could always raise him to full grown and release him back in the wild. Be careful though, wild birds can carry disease to your chickens so keep an eye on your chicks for illness. Nice job saving the day for the little guy.!

Thanks! That was kinda my thought, too. I was doing some checking, Turkeys were released in my state in the 1980's. All birds were tested for disease before release and I know they have strict rules for poultry imports (NPIP certified only). Also, I'm pretty sure the turkeys in this area are Merriam's.

We almost ended up with a wild turkey poult a few years ago. BF works construction and he was at a site for a week. All week this baby turkey would watch them and sort of hang out around them. Since he was staying at a hotel he left it at the site with the plan of taking it home with him at the end of the last day if it was still hanging around. Well, the last day rolled around and the poult was gone.
I suppose there are probably some ecological arguments you could make against taking a wild animal out of the wild. I know in MN for aquatic species there are rules dictating who can keep wild fish/turtles as pets and for how long (I think you have to be under 16 or an educator and it's only for a few months). I don't know if there are similar rules for wild birds. In our case, the turkey would have been butchered in the fall and the risk of it coming in contact with local flocks was minimal.
Your end goal for the bird is important here. Are you planning on releasing it back into the wild? Are you going to keep it at your place until it dies or you harvest it? Letting it grow out to adult size and then releasing it back into the wild is probably a big no no. I'd either release it now while it's still a baby and hasn't become dependent on humans or keep it to harvest. That's just me.

We pretty much live in the woods so for us releasing it would be easy. Let it free range by day in at night just until it starts to want to really roost on its own in evenings. Depending on your setup eggsnquackers is right about the release. You'd have to keep it wild from the start, not keep it with your chickens. Might be easier to just keep it at this point though!

You could raise him and keep him.You could always raise him to full grown and release him back in the wild. Be careful though, wild birds can carry disease to your chickens so keep an eye on your chicks for illness. Nice job saving the day for the little guy.!
Yes, for sure to segregate him/her from your flock. You just never know. Try to 'wire' him off so he can still be part of the flock sort of, but keep him separate. I applaud you for your efforts to save this little fuzzy-butt!

Yeah, I think you're right. I know we have laws saying that you can't release wild birds in this state (WA) due to the possible introduction of disease to wild flocks. And releasing it now would just be a death sentence (and a kinda cruel one at that). The area I live in is zoned agricultural, and it is a wooded area. I think, until I find out anything to the contrary, I have a new addition. And if that is the case, I think I would have to let it live out it's life here. I wouldn't release it once it's grown and I don't think I could harvest it either. I'm all for turkey hunting, but not one I personally know. (I'm also good with raising poultry for harvest, just not when it's a rescue. Seems kinda mean somehow).

And yes, I do have him segregated off. They can see each other, but they can't get to each other. Plus, I feed medicated chick starter to my chicks. Luckily, I had just found out recently that it has a tendency to be toxic to turkeys! I got some game birds food with a 24% protein content and I have been able to teach him how to drink from the waterer. He pecks at the food a bit and he seems to be a little steadier on his feet today. I'll post a picture soon. Any other advice would be a tremendous help!

Yeah, I think you're right. I know we have laws saying that you can't release wild birds in this state (WA) due to the possible introduction of disease to wild flocks. And releasing it now would just be a death sentence (and a kinda cruel one at that). The area I live in is zoned agricultural, and it is a wooded area. I think, until I find out anything to the contrary, I have a new addition. And if that is the case, I think I would have to let it live out it's life here. I wouldn't release it once it's grown and I don't think I could harvest it either. I'm all for turkey hunting, but not one I personally know. (I'm also good with raising poultry for harvest, just not when it's a rescue. Seems kinda mean somehow).

BRAVO for you! I'd feel the same way...keep him/her and let it live out its life with you. Something tells me you were mean't to rescue that little one!

Back
Top Bottom