WHAT YA GOT SWAP Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does she waddle on her hocks like a frog that wont straighten it's legs?

She can't get them under her at all. She just flops around...
Sounds like dislocated hips which is very hard to repair because they counstancely dislocate and have to be put back in place, I hate to say it, but unless the legs can be hobbled the best thing for the chick would be to cull it. I tried saving one of mine and as it grow older and had to place its weight on his legs the problem got worst. Wish I could help more, do you have a picture - it might not be as bad as I'm picturing it. I just fixed one that had one hip dislocated.
I wonder about that. I have her hobbled...

I got eight coronation Sussex eggs from MrsMoonCat 22 days ago. I gave two to my brother to put under a broody hen, the remaining six went in the incubator. Three were early quitters and three went to lockdown on Monday. One hatched on Wednesday, the second on Thursday, and the third just hatched today (Friday). I wasn't sure if the third one was going to hatch, but it pipped last night so I was hopeful. It didn't zip further overnight so I was concerned, thinking I may have to intervene later tonight if I see no progress. Well, I just checked and a baby coro is out. Don't know how he/she did it. I guess when he/she decides to be out, he/she was out. Thank you MrsMoonCat - the coro chicks are absolutely adorable. I have had terrible hatch rates on the last three sets of shipped eggs so 100% development with a 50% hatch rate is fantastic. And it could be higher if the two under the broody hen hatch. I am happy.:D

Well... I made the difficult decision to cull my little disabled chick. She wasn't showing any signs of improvement and was cheeping almost constantly. I have to be gone from 4AM tomorrow until late in the evening, so I wouldn't be able to get food and water into her. The friend I was going to give her to and I had a talk and we decided it was best for her... I'm so sad.

I put 7 rainbow eggs from SewChaos into lockdown on Wednesday and 3 of them have hatched already! They are due tomorrow and I was so worried I went out and got a dlink camera so I can watch them from my phone or iPad! I'll be with my kids at the MN state 4H dog bowl competition, but I'll be able to keep my eye on the chicks... My bator is at work and 1 had hatched before I left with 2 more pipped. I just checked the cam and 2 more are out!! Nothing like new babies to ease the heartbreak of losing one...

Just wanted to throw out there that I have a LG egg turner that I don't need if anyone was looking for one. It was only used a couple of times before my hubby left the incubator in the shed and it was chewed up by mice. I then bought a brinsea so this wont work for me anymore. I would trade it or sell it depending on whats for trade. PM if youre interested. I think I have the quail racks with it too.

Well... I made the difficult decision to cull my little disabled chick. She wasn't showing any signs of improvement and was cheeping almost constantly. I have to be gone from 4AM tomorrow until late in the evening, so I wouldn't be able to get food and water into her. The friend I was going to give her to and I had a talk and we decided it was best for her... I'm so sad.

I put 7 rainbow eggs from SewChaos into lockdown on Wednesday and 3 of them have hatched already! They are due tomorrow and I was so worried I went out and got a dlink camera so I can watch them from my phone or iPad! I'll be with my kids at the MN state 4H dog bowl competition, but I'll be able to keep my eye on the chicks... My bator is at work and 1 had hatched before I left with 2 more pipped. I just checked the cam and 2 more are out!! Nothing like new babies to ease the heartbreak of losing one...
Culling chicks is never fun. I've had to do that with each of my last two hatches.
hugs.gif

I want pictures! I'm always interested to see how the genetics of my layers turns into chicks :)

You did what had to be done. Much better when they are small then when they are older. It never gets easier, you just get a better feel for knowing when you can fix the problem and when you need to cull it. Like my dad says, "The Good, the bad, and the Ugly)

<hugs> I'm having some leg issues with my hatch now too :(. These 2 silkies thought they could sit on unlimited eggs and kept stealing more, so they got cold on and off, and now everyone has leg issues. I'M hobbling 3 but I think the one that hatched today has a dislocated hip.

I had one with leg issues this last hatch too. He (sexlink so I know it's a he) refuses to walk on one of his legs. There is nothing wrong that I can see. His toes arent curled or anything so I'm guessinig it's a hip problem. I may have to cull too even though I hate to. If the hip will keep having problems it's just not worth it to me to keep trying to fix it, especially since it's a roo that I dont need. I hate doing that though. I may have to make my hubby help me. So sorry that you had such a horrible hatch! Hope things go better for you next time.
hugs.gif

Culling chicks is never fun. I've had to do that with each of my last two hatches.
hugs.gif
I want pictures! I'm always interested to see how the genetics of my layers turns into chicks :)
So far, we have a black one with some yellow on the head and wing tips, and two little yellow chicks... :D

I had one with leg issues this last hatch too. He (sexlink so I know it's a he) refuses to walk on one of his legs. There is nothing wrong that I can see. His toes arent curled or anything so I'm guessinig it's a hip problem. I may have to cull too even though I hate to. If the hip will keep having problems it's just not worth it to me to keep trying to fix it, especially since it's a roo that I dont need. I hate doing that though. I may have to make my hubby help me. So sorry that you had such a horrible hatch! Hope things go better for you next time.
hugs.gif
If you want to try something simple, cut a piece of bandaid and put on the good leg like you're going to hobble him, but instead leave it hanging, The chick is so busy trying to get it that he starts to use his bad leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom